What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One man RV-12 wing install

I seem to have seen something about a way of putting the wings on the 12 single handed - but cannot find where? Has anybody heard of such a thing? There was a wheeled device that allowed the wing to be rotated and moved to the fuse insert position.
Maybe I was just dreaming of such cleverness. I have a trailer set up that delivers the wing flat on fold down side panels but finding another strong pair of hands at the other end to help install the wings prompts my quest.

RV-12 now close to finish line.

I mounted my wings on my 7 by myself. Used a shop creeper with a wooden box on top spaced up with scrap lumber for the right height. Then a thick layer of horse blankets to protect the wing skin. The wing pivoted in all directions. Used a folding chair on the end spaced up the same way to hold the wing tip up after I had it in position.

I copied a glider system for mine, putting them on or taking them off is very easy for one person. You can see some of it on my kitlog, total cost was only a few dollars, and quick to build. I love the end product and now leave my wings in the horizontal position when not on the plane.

Interesting

John, I too am very interested in trailering my 12. I am very interested in seeing a picture or two of your trailer. Please include a picture here if possible. Guess that makes three of us who really want to trailer their 12s!

Thanks for the responses and trailer details

Thanks for all the help with the one man wing install. I will troll through all that and see what I can do.
Concerning the trailer - I have just bought a trailer made by Roger - a Builder in New South Wales - for his RV-12. Very clever with fold down sides to carry the wings. The plane enters from the front and ends up with the prop just inside at the back with the main wheels in troughs on either side which terminate at the trailer wheels. The nose wheel is against the winch post at the back.
Not sure how to load photos???

Not sure how to load photos?
The first step to posting pictures on Vansairforce is to upload your photos to a photo sharing website and copy the link to the photo.
The second step is to post on Vansairforce and click on the YELLOW icon that says "Insert Image" when you hover the mouse pointer over it. Paste the link to your photo.
Joe Gores

RV-12 Roger Russells Trailer

Sending Gagarin 737 3 trailer photos by email for uploading to Forum for me. Thanks for that Joeri.

The designer/builder of the trailer is Roger Russell of Sydney NSW. He has done a very clever job for Australian registration - not sure whether the USA road rules would apply.
Length o/a is 6.5m width 2.44m, tare 440 kgs.

Roger Russells Trailer

Text from John:

As you can see the plane is loaded from the front of the trailer before hitching to the tow vehicle. The main wheels run in troughs that will accept wheel fairings (covered by the skirt on Photo 3) on either side of the trailer deck until they rest on the trailer's wheel wells. The nose wheel remains on the trailer deck tilting the nose up which allows the tail to be secured to the tow bar by an ingenious little pyramid device. The nose is held in place by the rear winch cable. The wings are secure with the spars projecting forward. The flying surfaces are locked with fibre clamps (see horizontal lines on fin/rudder).

lnbg.jpg

2uf0.jpg

eutm.jpg

It is a pity the trailer info and photographs are not posted in the thread on RV-12 trailers.
Looks like could be a very practical trailer, but would be intrigued on how it is on our less than perfect roads, both for the trailer/car, and especially for the aircraft.
John
Melbourne
Australia

Very ingenious system, perfectly adapted to the RV-12. As there cannot be a front door, there cannot be a back door so that the air can flow through the trailer when moving on the road. I would have reservations regarding the overall rigidity of the frame without doors although some of the rigidity might be provided by the wings... at a risk.
Kudos to the designer for his creativity!

I think I would add corner braces to the end without them for added rigidity, removable of course.
Very ingenious system, perfectly adapted to the RV-12. As there cannot be a front door, there cannot be a back door so that the air can flow through the trailer when moving on the road. I would have reservations regarding the overall rigidity of the frame without doors although some of the rigidity might be provided by the wings... at a risk.
Kudos to the designer for his creativity!

Back