What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One Last Trip, Part 1: KMYF-KCNO

Garage Guy

Well Known Member
OK, it looks like we have a buyer for our RV-6, but there's time for one last trip while it's still ours. Forecasts say Friday January 21 will be a great day for it, so partner Ralph and I clear our schedules and meet at Montgomery Field (KMYF) to preflight, load up, and launch at 0830 PST.

We took a few photos of the trip, and recorded GPS tracks that we've converted to .kmz files for viewing as tours in Google Earth.

Google Earth tour of this leg: LastTripMYF-CNO.kmz

After takeoff runway 28R at Montgomery, off the left wing to the south is Mission Bay, Lindbergh Field (KSAN), Point Loma, and on the horizon, the Islas Coronados off the coast of Baja California.
missionbay.jpg

And off the right wing, to the north, we have La Jolla Shores Beach, Scripps Pier, UCSD campus, Torrey Pines golf course, and various San Diego County coastal towns and beaches stretching on past the Santa Ana Mountains, and beyond them, on the horizon, the San Gabriel and snowcapped San Bernardino ranges north of the Los Angeles basin. Forecasts were right; it will be a great day for it: clear skies, light winds, and visibility better than 100 miles here.
scrippspier.jpg

We cross the northern tip of the Santa Ana range into the LA basin, with the San Gabriels beyond.
pleasantspeak.jpg

Corona airport (KAJO), just to the east, looks well dried out from their big flood in December.
corona.jpg

But our first stop will be a little farther on, at Chino (KCNO). Here's left base to final runway 26R:
chino.jpg

Now, there are lots of reasons to land at Chino; but for us, this time, it's for breakfast at Flo's Airport Cafe.
floscafe.jpg

At Flo's, you pretty much have to have the biscuits and gravy. Over hashbrowns. With your choice of decorations, like sausage and eggs.
breakfast.jpg

With a Flo's breakfast and a LA terminal area chart, we have what it takes to plot our way over, under, around and through the class B, C, and D airspaces starting the next leg of our one last trip.

--Paul

One Last Trip, Part 2: KCNO-KBIH

Google Earth tour of this leg: LastTripCNO-BIH.kmz

A straight-out departure from Chino points you just about at downtown LA.
downtownla.jpg

Over El Monte, we turn north to enter the San Gabriel range near Mt. Wilson and the observatory housing the 100 inch telescope that Edwin Hubble used to discover galactic redshifts and to infer that we live in an expanding universe.
mtwilson.jpg

On the other side of the San Gabriels is the high Mojave Desert. Skirting the west edge of R-2515, we pass Rosamond and Rogers Dry Lakes (not so dry at the moment), and Edwards Air Force Base (KEDW), location of the world's first manned supersonic flight and many other right-stuff aviation firsts.
edwards.jpg

The Mojave airport (KMHV), home of Burt Rutan's Scaled Composites, has some slightly used aluminum that might be available.
mojave.jpg

The Tehachapi Pass is trying to farm some wind, but there's not enough to spin the turbines today:
tehatchapi.jpg

Looking north up the Owens Valley, bordered by the Sierra Nevada on the west and the White Mountains on the east, both topping out over 14,000 ft MSL. In the middle distance is the town of Lone Pine and the Alabama Hills, famous filming location for many TV shows and movie productions, from Hopalong Cassidy and the Lone Ranger to Gladiator and Iron Man.
owensvalley.jpg

Passing Mt. Whitney, at 14,505 ft MSL the highest peak in the lower 48 states (though only about the 26th highest in North America).
whitney1.jpg

The town of Bishop, Bishop airport (KBIH), and the White Mountains, home of the world's oldest nonclonal trees (4,500+ year old bristlecone pines). White Mountain Peak is 14,252 ft MSL and the third highest peak in California.
bishopwhitemountains.jpg

On final for runway 25, Bishop.
bishopfinal.jpg

On the ground at Bishop. Might be our best candidate for the "most awesome picture of your plane on the ground" thread.
bishopramp.jpg

After fueling up, we hook up the oxygen and get ready for the next leg of our last trip, over the Sierra crest to the Pacific coast.

--Paul

One Last Trip, Part 3: KBIH-KHAF

Google Earth tour of this leg: LastTripBIH-HAF.kmz

Climbing out from Bishop, with Mammoth Yosemite airport (KMMH) off the nose and the Long Valley Caldera to the right.
mammoth.jpg

The Minarets and the Ritter Range. The Minarets eat climbers http://www.traditionalmountaineering.org/News_PeterStarr.htm, and also pilots http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Fossett#NTSB_report_and_findings.
minarets.jpg

Mono Lake, with Lee Vining airport (O24). At this point we turn west to cross the Sierras.
monolake.jpg

The Tioga Pass road, closed for the winter. The pass at 9943 ft. MSL is the eastern portal to Yosemite National Park.
tiogapass.jpg

Yosemite Valley, looking west. Half Dome on the near left, Yosemite Village and the Merced River on the valley floor, and part of the upper face of El Capitan just visible beyond.
yosemite.jpg

Out of the mountains and into California's Central Valley. The radiation fog isn't bad today; valley airports are just MVFR, not LIFR!
tulefog.jpg

Passing over San Jose airport (KSJC) above their class C airspace, looking north over Moffett Field (KNUQ, also known as "Google's Private Airstrip"), to Palo Alto (KPAO), San Carlos (KSQL), San Francisco International (KSFO), the Golden Gate, and the Marin Headlands.
moffett.jpg

Crossing the Santa Cruz mountains, we see our next stop: Half Moon Bay airport (KHAF), just visible here on the peninsula in the middle distance.
halfmoonbay.jpg

There were some interesting negotiations with an RV-4 that entered the pattern at Half Moon Bay the same time we did (I'm landing runway 12! I'm landing runway 30! OK, I'll follow you! No, I'll follow you!), but we got it sorted out.

The effects of Flo's biscuits and gravy were starting to wear off, so we walked into town for fish and chips at Barbara's Fishtrap (our review: excellent) and then topped off tanks for home, the last leg of our one last trip.

One Last Trip, Part 4: KHAF-KMYF

Google Earth tour of this leg: LastTripHAF-MYF.kmz

Heading south from Half Moon Bay, with Santa Cruz already behind us, we are skirting Monterrey Bay, with the Salinas Valley to the left, and Monterrey, Pacific Grove, and Pebble Beach on the horn of the bay to the right.
monterreybay.jpg

We dip our wing at Salinas airport (KSNS). We bought N976DP here two and a half years ago and moved her to San Diego...
salinas.jpg

A little farther south, over the Carrizo Plain, the San Andreas fault is clearly visible at the surface. In this picture, the Temblor Range, the radiation-fogged central valley, and the snowy Sierras beyond are on the North American tectonic plate; we are flying over the Pacific plate.
sanandreas.jpg

A view south over the Carrizo Plain. Temblor Range and San Andreas fault to the left, Soda Lake and the Caliente Range to the right, and, straight ahead, the Tehachapi and San Emigdio Mountains separating us from Los Angeles.
carrizoplain.jpg

It's about time to make our selection from the LA class B VFR routes menu. "Waiter, I believe I will have the Coastal Route this evening..."
laroutes.jpg

Meanwhile, the sun is setting over the Pacific Ocean. Ventura and Santa Barbara are just over the ridge here. Anacapa, Santa Cruz, and Santa Rosa islands are part of Channel Islands National Park.
santacruzisland.jpg

Lights are coming on in the Greater LA Metroplex.
labasin.jpg

The 496 shows us on the Coastal Route, 3.3 nm from LAX.
gps496.jpg

Los Angeles International (KLAX) from 5,500 ft MSL. Engine out here, and I'm confident I could find a runway to land on!
lax.jpg

Palos Verdes in the foreground, Catalina Island off shore. Here we are about 30 minutes from an fine night landing back at Montgomery at 1830 PST, and one last taxi to the hangar.
catalina.jpg

10 hours elapsed time, 6 hours flight time. We're going to miss this airplane!

--Paul

great post Paul! Makes me jealous of those living in the warmer climates... Here in the Northeast all you can see is white after taking off :(

Great pics

Nice writeup!

Any details on your X96 mount? I'm looking to do something similar.

Nice write up! Shows the diverstity and expanse of California, and you were only in the bottom 2/3s. What a nice way to spend a day.

Back