What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

? on wire bundle tie downs

jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
This has been bugging me and I am hoping I can get great advice from the electrical gurus out there.

The Aircraft Inspection and Repair Manual AC 43.13-1B in the electrical section says to secure wire/wire bundles every 2 foot max and that the max wire deflection should be no more than 1/2" between secure points when a slight pressure is applied 90 deg to the wire in midspan.

I know "adel" clamps are made for this purpose but sometimes these are a problem to bolt/screw on-maybe there is no access to the back side of the rib you are bolting it to and to install a nutplate may be difficult. Are there other ways I am missing? I have seen on bldrs web sites some use a nylon block type of device that a wire tie runs thru. This block is attached to the rib w/ adhesive backing. Not sure this is a good way as seems like the adhesive could dry out and come off. I am using rib as an example here but could be anything you are securing the wire to.

Are there simpler ways I am missing? And if there are special secure type fittings beside adel clamps where can you buy them?

Thanks,
Jim
RV9A Fuse

Couple of options I've found..

You can use the nylon blocks, though some folks like to secure them better than the sticky backing - either high strength glue or a pop rivet. I find the pop rivet gets in the way of the zip tie, but maybe I don't have small enough rivets.

Alternatively, you could use rivnuts for adel clamps. Kinda pricey, but don't require access to the back. Examples here:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/rivnuts.php

Click-Bond

Another option is to use Click-Bond products that are adhesive.

You'll find them at The Flight Shop, I think they advertise somewhere on this site.

I have purchased their wing-tip kit but not yet used it so I can't report on effectiveness, but if you search this forum you'll find a lot of happy customers

Last edited:
Hard to get simpler than the nylon block. Scrape off the sicky tape backing that is provided, clean the surfaces, and use a shoe-goo type adhesive. pretty cheap for the airplane world, and it aint coming loose.

erich

I like these with...

...a pop rivet. The AZ heat can get to the sticky back mounts...:)

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/cabletiemounts1.php

The second one down will work for most of our small cables with a 1/8 pop type rivet.

11-03990.jpg

Thats the ticket

Gil....I haven't seen those up close. Didn't find them in the ACS catalog (maybe they are only in the online catalog). Those are what I am looking for.

Jim
RV9A fuse

Back