What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

On-airport or In-garage ?

rgmwa

Well Known Member
I'd be interested to know where those of you who are building intend to keep your RV12 - down at the airfield, or at home in the garage?

Having the ability to take the wings off makes transportation and storage much easier, but I suspect that most owners will want to keep their plane where they fly it. Although I like the idea of keeping mine at home, I suspect that constantly trailering it to the field (assuming access is permitted) will quickly lose its appeal, and that I'll be renting hanger space sooner or later.

Robert

Actually this question would be better asked after owners have been flying for a while. Over the 25 plus year that I have been inspecting aircraft, I have seen MANY people who intended to fold or remove wings in order to bring their aircraft home. After they have done this several times almost ALL of them ended up leaving them at the airport. They find that it's just not worth the hassle.

In the past few weeks I have been contacted by a trailor manufacturer with the idea of building a trailor for the -12. They are coming here to measure the -12 and look it over. This sounds like a high end affair with storage for other off road toys, a kitchen, bath, generator, basically a self contained hangar. I agree most will leave the wings on, but the ability to take it with you where ever you go is appealing to some also. The way the -12 is built it is easy to do.

Last edited:
Nothing is better than the types of toy-haulers your talking about. Some of them are very high end, with built-in fueling stations, air compressors, etc. It would be an awesome vacation to drive across the country and up to Alaska with your RV safely parked inside your RV. Imagine the possibilities.

I wonder if there is somthing that could be built into the trailer that can help with wing removal and movement, allowing a single person to secure the wings with minimal risk of dropping an end or bashing into the corner of the trailer.

Hassle factor

Actually this question would be better asked after owners have been flying for a while. Over the 25 plus year that I have been inspecting aircraft, I have seen MANY people who intended to fold or remove wings in order to bring their aircraft home. After they have done this several times almost ALL of them ended up leaving them at the airport. They find that it's just not worth the hassle.

I think this comes down to the individual's tolerance for "hassle." If you read Doug's daily missive on the home page you will see many references to "stopped by the airport and flew .5" That just can't happen easily with a trailered airplane. The same problem comes up with distance to the airport. I have several friends that "save money" by keeping their craft at a more remote airport. Same problem, if it is a hassle, you aren't going to fly much.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Just got a hanger

Just signed up for my own hanger at Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport (KSRQ). Just 5 miles from my home as the crow flies ... 6.5 miles by car. :)

Build almost completed thru Finishing Kit (minus the canopy, to chilly in FL to drill canopy and minus cables to flaperons and empennage, needed a hanger to complete).

I thought about sharing a hanger at the airport with another plane but that would mean my wings would have to be removed for storage in hanger. Also thought about keeping plane in my home garage and trailering it and therefore constantly removing and reattaching wings and buying and storing a trailer. Decided my own hanger at SRQ would be the best option.

Now I just have to figure out how to get my RV-12 project to the airport ... rental truck, trailer, tow truck ... wings on rack or freestyle. Open for suggestions.

Why drive?

Nothing is better than the types of toy-haulers your talking about. Some of them are very high end, with built-in fueling stations, air compressors, etc. It would be an awesome vacation to drive across the country and up to Alaska with your RV safely parked inside your RV. Imagine the possibilities.

I wonder if there is somthing that could be built into the trailer that can help with wing removal and movement, allowing a single person to secure the wings with minimal risk of dropping an end or bashing into the corner of the trailer.

It's all in your point of view, but the thought of slogging along on the interstate driving some flabby vehicle doesn't do much for me. Personally, I would prefer to fly the airplane and spending a little of the money saved by not buying and fueling the "toy-hauler" on a some nice lodging along the way.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

It really depends a lot on where you live and accessibilty to the airports, along with the hassle factor mentioned above by a number of others. I built and flew 2 Kitfoxes for 1200+ over a 9 year period, and I trailered them the entire time. That was in the 90's. The airport at which I did most of the flying, McCollum Airport (KRYY) was a much different airport. In fact, it didn't even have a Control Tower during that time. It is so built up now, and there doesn't even appear to be very convenient for through-the-fence operations, FAA thinking/ruling notwithstanding.
I could get it on and off of the trailer, and ready for flight in 12 minutes. I enjoyed being able to quickly come home after flying, bringing it home with me, and being able to work on it during the week. I actually found that these Kitfoxes received much more TLC that the airplanes that were left at the airport, mine included. I was partners in a C-182 and a S-35 during this same period.
You do have to be careful when towing, because you will get a lot of gawkers, and they can sometimes almost cause accidents. Sometimes people will follow you home or to the airport, too, and you will meet and make friends along the way.
Vic

I think the tax man is going to force me to base mine in Oregon.

I was considering renting a tie-down during the summer months and then keeping it at home during the rainy season.

I've still got a couple years to figure it out.

Caustion - Thread drift

Now I just have to figure out how to get my RV-12 project to the airport ... rental truck, trailer, tow truck ... wings on rack or freestyle. Open for suggestions.

For a one time move, buy a bunch of fiberglass insulation and wrap the wings in that and put them on a flat trailer, if you don't have a wing stand.

Back