What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

On a -9, when do you get the gear?

txaviator

Well Known Member
On a -9, does the gear come with the fuselage? Or does it come later, with the finishing kit? Just curious.

Thanks!

It comes in the finish kit Gary. It works out good that way, because then you don't get tempted to put the gear on too early. It would be too hard to work on canopy and instrument panel with it on its gear.

Landing gear

The landing gear mounts and the actual gear legs come with the fuselage kit. The brakes, wheels, etc come with the finish kit.

craigvince said:
The landing gear mounts and the actual gear legs come with the fuselage kit. The brakes, wheels, etc come with the finish kit.

Ditto to what Craig said, contrary to the others. That's how I got mine anyway.

craigvince said:
This is true for "A" models only. Gary asked about a -9. The taildraggers have a different sub-kit configuration.

It helps to read the fine print :)

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
This is true for "A" models only. Gary asked about a -9. The taildraggers have a different sub-kit configuration.

You're absolutely right! Attention to detail, he says. Sorry, my bad :eek:

Gary,

After you put it on the gear and before you mount the engine, take two of those shot bags you used when building the flaps and put them on the tail.

W/O the wings and tail on there is very little weight back there and it is possible to tip it up on its nose.

As the others have said, the gear comes with the finish kit on the -9 and as you already know, the tail wheel comes with the fuselage kit. When building a -9A the mains come with the fuselage kit and the nose wheel comes with the finish kit.

Back