What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Old Style Flywheel or Spacers???

Funguy

Well Known Member
Hi All - I'm investigating purchasing a WW G200L Propeller from a Van's Airforce vendor and noticed that my existing flywheel setup does not look like any contemporary flywheels. This is on a O-320-E3D. It turns out that it has 7/16" flange bolts at the propeller rather than the expected 3/8" bolts and a further look at the flywheel and spacer setup makes me suspect that the 3/8" bolts are holding the flywheel and the double stack of spacers eventually ends up with 7/16" bolts. I am hoping that this is an older setup that's still useable. However, if someone has seen this style before and can give me some insight into much of a pain this will be changing to a new propeller, I would be grateful.
Propeller Mount.jpgPropeller Flywheel.jpg

Cheers, Sean

IIRC, the holes in the 320 crank flange are the same size. So, if you end up having 3/8 lugs in the crank and needing 7/16, just replace the lugs with the 7/16 version. You can make pulling and pressing tools from bolts and other scrap material.

Ok - I have been informed I have a Landol Balancer.

Cheers, Sean

Yes, but there is still a spacer under there as well. Some spacers have their own lugs and others just use long bolts and the lugs from the crank. Doesn't matter much, as it will be going away. You should be able to see the bolts poking through the lugs behind the flywheel with a mirror to determine their diameter.

Don't forget the indexing lug. May I ask what do you want for the Landol ?

I haven't thought that far ahead. I did wonder if keeping it was an option. It would help keep some weight on the nose maybe...

Cheers, Sean

Landol

We have a Landol harmonic dampener (it’s nit a balancer) on our RV-6 with a stock O-320, 8.5 compression Lycosaurus. I wouldn’t give it up for two reasons. The engine seems very smooth, and the airplane needs the weight up there. It came with the airplane and we’re both lucky to have them. If you don’t care about the dampening effect but still need the weight, somebody makes (made?) a steel ring as a stand-in and as you’ve seen, it’s really easy to sell. 😀

Back