What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Old School Use of Terminal Blocks

HFS

Well Known Member
Just one way (an old one at that!) of connecting wing wiring to the fuselage, taking into account the possible need to disconnect them sometime in the future. AND, having the floorboards removable for access ...

HFS
HRII S/N 002

Attachments

• Terminal Block - Under Floorboards .jpg
    Terminal Block - Under Floorboards .jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 290
Are your grounds coming back to a single location? If not, what method is used to avoid ground loops and associated noise? What protection does this location/method have against water/corrosion, accidental shorts from FOD? Why not use quality connectors (i.e. Deutsch or similar) in same location, just as accessible but more protected?

Are your grounds coming back to a single location? If not, what method is used to avoid ground loops and associated noise? What protection does this location/method have against water/corrosion, accidental shorts from FOD? Why not use quality connectors (i.e. Deutsch or similar) in same location, just as accessible but more protected?
All grounds go back to the battery - no airframe grounds are used. As far as protection is concerned - there are custom made fiberglass "hats" that cover/protect all connections on the terminal blocks. Water/moisture proof - no, but pretty hard to figure how that might be an issue from operating where I live (desert). And re/different connectors - this install was done almost 30 years ago, before the advent of all the certified connectors filtering down to our level. That being said, I probably will do the same thing on my -3 when it's time. Pretty easy to make/break the connections as needed, and no special tooling required.

YMMV - Old school, but it works.

HFS

All grounds go back to the battery - no airframe grounds are used. As far as protection is concerned - there are custom made fiberglass "hats" that cover/protect all connections on the terminal blocks. Water/moisture proof - no, but pretty hard to figure how that might be an issue from operating where I live (desert). And re/different connectors - this install was done almost 30 years ago, before the advent of all the certified connectors filtering down to our level. That being said, I probably will do the same thing on my -3 when it's time. Pretty easy to make/break the connections as needed, and no special tooling required.

YMMV - Old school, but it works.

HFS
Looks very nice. I've done a lot of electronic builds (amplifiers mostly) using similar blocks (some boat stuff as well).

Looks very nice. I've done a lot of electronic builds (amplifiers mostly) using similar blocks (some boat stuff as well).
Terminal blocks are DIY out of Phenolic, & #6 SS screws, washers and nuts.

Last edited:
Oh how I wish these wires were properly supported and strain relieved. I'm sure this pic was taken before the aircraft was completed and that a later clean-up installed an Adel clamp which actually clamps the wire bundles.

One of the most common aircraft wiring challenges that I see is insufficient wire length resulting in wires that are stretched far tighter than is healthy for long, reliable operations.

Back