What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Old comm antennas any good?

dwilson

Well Known Member
I just purchased a pair of old comm antennas from a cessna 182. The exterior is pretty weather worn, but will clean up nicely with some sand paper and paint.

How can I tell if they are any good electrically other than hook them up and see if they produce RF?

(I don't have a SWR meter.)

Thanks,

I just purchased a pair of old comm antennas from a cessna 182.
How can I tell if they are any good electrically (I don't have a SWR meter.)
Thanks,

Duane, I used the same setup on my 6A. I have one mounted on top just behind my tip-up canopy and the other is belly mounted. They both do an excellent job, great antennas!

I "bent" the belly mounted one by carefully cutting the fiberglass, bending it back about 60 degrees or so and then refiberglassing it. You have to be careful however because the "antenna" is actually a braided copper wire embedded in the fiberglass.

I found the antennas to be "electrically" pretty much "bulletproof" as long as they haven't been broke in half etc. They should work fine for you!

BTW, I understand that all Cessna antenna's come with an "Oklahoma warranty"............ That is, if it ever breaks in half, you can keep both halves!!!;)

Hope this helps!

Back