What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OK to rivet?

Cmore

Hi Guys,
On the 7a QB fuse just below the aft deck there are a row of rivets left out running from the front of the aft deck to the rear of the aft deck that connect the skin to the longeron,is it ok to rivet this now bearing in mind I haven't connected the empennage yet due to space restrictions and won't be until I get it to the hanger.
I hope you know where I'm talking about,I've tried to attach a photo but with my computer skills its a small victory just to post this never mind attach photos.
Cheers

If you're talking about where the side skins rivet to the longeron below the aft deck, mine are already riveted (slow build fuselage at about the QB stage). I believe the instructions have you rivet those right after joining the aft and center fuselage sections.

FP20032016A0001E.jpg

maybe they want you to match drill the gap fairing that goes under the HS and some get tap for screws, (some just rivet it on) don't forget that the deck plate goes on after that area is adjusted parallel with the center section.

Look on the plans. There are a few that call out getting drilled and tapped for the underside fairing-after they tell you to mount the horizontal. Now is a great time to do that. Ask me how I know. You can rivet the rest of them now.

Thanks guys,the call out for the tapped holes must be in the finish plans,I'm waiting on the finish kit at the minute so I'll just wait until it comes before I rivet anything.Starting to run out of jobs to do on the fuse kit so roll on the finish kit,be careful what you wish for I hear you say.

Thanks guys,the call out for the tapped holes must be in the finish plans,I'm waiting on the finish kit at the minute so I'll just wait until it comes before I rivet anything.Starting to run out of jobs to do on the fuse kit so roll on the finish kit,be careful what you wish for I hear you say.
Don't spend the time tapping these holes. Very little reason too for the lower empennage fairing unless for some reason you needed to change your angle of incidence on the HS, which is pretty rare, and if you did, drill out a few rivets and pop it off. You would have to modify or build a new fairing anyway. I have never had the need to take it off, nor do most. I think Mel's has been on there for some 20 years.
If you got really bored and needed something to do, rivet every other hole leaving open a few for that fairing later, or just wait it out. It is probably less than a 20 minute job anyway.

Back