What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil temp

n2b8r

Installed the carbureted O320 with the efii ignition. Starts and runs well but straight n level oil temp is too hot. 235F. I lowered the floors of the intake foyers of the baffle to relieve intake obstruction. That got me down to 210. I measured the size of the exhaust exit port to find it is well more than twice the area of both intakes combined - although the pipes themselves take up a substantial fraction of the exit port. I'm wondering if there's a way to modify the exhaust exhaust port so that it will actually draw air from the low-pressure side of the cowl to encourage flow from the high pressure side? I also wonder if I missing the boat completely and there might be some other way to get more air flowing through the oil cooler.

Thanks in advance for all your contributions.

Jeff H
N377CP kwvi

What oil cooler?

Carl

Carl is correct. The oil cooler and the oil cooler location will all have an effect on oil temperature.

For most of Phase I, I had the oil cooler mounted on the RHS of the firewall with 3" SCAT running to it. I ran at redline oil temp most of the time. This was September 1997 in SoCAL during some of the hottest weather of the year. Moving the oil cooler to behind #4 cylinder lowered oil temp around 35-degrees F.

Back