What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Tank Hoses Frustration

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
Spent some time trying to figure out the Figures on page 49-12 and concluded that there was no way to find the correct routing for the VA-213 and 215 hoses. Then I did what I should have done first, search VAF Forum and I found that I was not the only one struggling on the issue. I found very good advice and a nice picture from John Peck but I would like to get a picture showing the routing of the hoses viewed from below the engine. There is so much stuff on the way that finding the right path might take some time.
Thanks

Last edited:
I struggled with the routing too. When I replace hoses at the 5 year point I'll probably fabricate new ones slightly longer and make some minor adjustments to reduce the chance of chafing. Just a personal preference thing.

Spent some time trying to figure out the Figures on page 49-12 and concluded that there was no way to find the correct routing for the VA-213 and 215 hoses. Then I did what I should have done first, search VAF Forum and I found that I was not the only one struggling on the issue. I found very good advice and a nice picture from John Peck but I would like to get a picture showing the routing of the hoses viewed from below the engine. There is so much stuff on the way that finding the right path might take some time.
Thanks

I am almost at that step now. Would you mind sharing the link to the photo from John that you have found? Would spare me the time digging myself ...

One of the drawings (don't remember the #) shows that the hoses route from the oil tank aft of the engine mount. If you make sure you do this, it helps make it more obvious what the rest of the path for each hose is.
Keep in mind that how they lay on each other will effect the overall length. I would recommend installing the oil return hose first (The one that attaches to the bottom of the engine). Also keep in mind that the rotational clocking of the top of the oil tank is a factor in getting the hoses fit properly. A good starting point is to center the outlet port of the tank on the angled portion of the oil tank mounting bracket, when viewed from above.

Here are the pictures I had like to have to do the oil hoses installation. I think they would be a good complement to the instructions and figures provided by VANs. The interest of the pictures is that they show the complete environment while VAN's figures, for good reasons, show a simplified setting.
http://vieilleburette.blogspot.com/2013/05/installation-and-routing-of-oil-hoses.html
It would be even great to have comments with the pictures which I will do later, for the time being I'm just enjoying the satisfaction of contemplating my last major kit building task (although I might be wrong :eek:).

Back