What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil System Questions

I'm working on my ECI IOX-360 with the 90 degree oil adapter on my 7A. I have a couple of questions. Which oil filter do I need? I can't find the answer on the ECI site, nor is it mentioned in the assembly HW manual. Will I need to use an oil adapter extension to avoid interference with the engine mount? If so what size will I need? Finally, I know I'll have to replace the straight AN816-8D oil cooler return plug with a 45 degree AN823-8D. Will the oil line that comes with the VAN's FWF kit still work, or will I need a longer one? How should the AN823-8D be positioned for best fit? Thanks

IOX-360

I have that engine. The oil filter I used is a Champion 48110. You can confirm by talking to your engine supplier.

I used the largest oil filter extension/adapter. I believe it was 1 1/2 inches in order to clear the engine mount with more than adequate clearance.

I can't answer the other question about hose length.

Don

You need to use the CH48108-1 or equivalent. That ECI adapter has no bypass built into the adapter and must use an oil filter that has a bypass built into it. The CH48108 has a bypass the CH48110-1 doesn't. The CH 48110 is used with the straight Lycoming style oil filter adapter that has a bypass built into the adapter. In addition, each of the filters mentioned have different mounting styles. One has a male mounting thread and the other has female mounting thread. This can be overcome by removing or adding a mounting stud in the adapter, but that should never be done for obvious reasons.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

You need to use the CH48108-1 or equivalent. That ECI adapter has no bypass built into the adapter and must use an oil filter that has a bypass built into it. The CH48108 has a bypass the CH48110-1 doesn't. The CH 48110 is used with the straight Lycoming style oil filter adapter that has a bypass built into the adapter. In addition, each of the filters mentioned have different mounting styles. One has a male mounting thread and the other has female mounting thread. This can be overcome by removing or adding a mounting stud in the adapter, but that should never be done for obvious reasons.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Mahlon's correct, it is indeed the CH48108-1 that I have. What was I thinking?

Back