What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Sump - Eng Mount Interference?

cajunwings

Well Known Member
A question for the RV 6-7-9 guys with Lyc forward inlet oil sumps. Anybody have any problems with the oil sump not fitting or interfering with the lower engine mounts? I'm talking about specifically the sump that has the rectangular "tanks" on either side.

Don B
RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

Sump

I have used the angle valve IO 360 sump on two Pitts and one other airplane. All used 3/4" tubing for the ring portion of the engine mount, which is smaller than most mounts use. No problem with clearance.

Sumps

Thanks for the response. I have heard that the angle valve sump can be a problem to use on the RV's because the "tanks" get too close to the eng mount. Don't know if this is true so I'm trying rule out before buying one. Waiting for somebody to post who has done this.

Don

Sump

One option is to remove all or part of the side extensions. Aerobatic people have done this to improve oil flow in extreme attitudes.
The optimum way to do this is to bolt the sump to a piece of flat steel, preheat it in an oven, and then weld it. Caps could be something like 1/4' thick 6061 aluminum. There used to be shops that would do these mods but these days people tend to spend an obscene amount of money for a new cold air induction system.

Lots of angle valve 200+hp 0-360 in all types of RV's. Call the mother ship on this question. I know the exhaust system is different as is the cowl.

Me too!

Yup, I had the same problem on my RV7. Mounted engine with aft facing sump modified to forward facing and discovered that the "wings" protruding out and aft of the sump kissed the lower right mount tube and came very close to the lower left tube. I got a number of suggestions on how to fix it but finally decided to bite the bullet and swapped out my sump and intake tubes with the forward facing tubes and sump off an IO-360-A1A. There are cold air induction sumps that were enticing but I already had the 4 pipe Vetterman exhaust and wasn't certain that sump would work with the exhaust. Hope this helps.

IO360 C1C6

Hi,

I also bought IO360 C1C6 with the rear fuel controller and want to convert to the front fuel controller by machining the sump. Is it the best way to adapt this engine to RV7A?

Should I expect any problems (interference oil sump ? standard Vans engine mount)?

Regards
Witek

Back