What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil pressure

Dave Stephens

What oil pressure did you guys see on a new IO540 running on straight 80 running in oil?
I'm getting 85psi at 2200 rpm but rises to 90 sometimes setting off the efis alarm, but at take off it goes to 100psi!
Engine has done about 2 hours of running in the plane post lycoming a run in procedure (I need to find the paperwork that come with the engine to see what it did on lycomings test rig)
I want to get a gauge and sender and to fit to verify its not the efis over reading.

As a side note it has a remote oil filter, which I have checked all pipes for kinks etc.

Dave

My IO-540 with 200 hrs. will see 95-100 psi at WOT on first take off of the day. At pattern altitude I dial back to 23-2400 RPM and WOT. Oil Pressure comes down to 80 psi within seconds. No oil leaks, and I get 12-15 hrs. per quart of Aeroshell 100W.

Jim Berry
RV-10

I don't think I've ever seen over 90psi on any of the 540's I've installed. I have the alarm set to go off at 90. I don't take off under 100 degrees on the oil temp. It sounds like your gauge is reading high or your pressure is set too high. It would be interesting to hear what psi you get at 2700rpm with hot oil (180+ degrees).

I like 85 PSI min @ 180 deg, at 210 deg you should still see 75 PSI which is the lowest I like to see.

To me yours #'s sound good.

Mid 80's cooler and mid 70's at say 180dF.

That is after 800 hours and using AS15W-50.

Sounds like your alarm is set wrong.

Be careful; setting alarms. By the way CHT alarm is 400dF, nothing higher or lower!

False alarms will set you up for trouble one day, we (APS) have a nasty data file to prove it.:eek: And there have been others.

What oil pressure did you guys see on a new IO540 running on straight 80 running in oil?
I'm getting 85psi at 2200 rpm but rises to 90 sometimes setting off the efis alarm, but at take off it goes to 100psi!
Engine has done about 2 hours of running in the plane post lycoming a run in procedure (I need to find the paperwork that come with the engine to see what it did on lycomings test rig)
I want to get a gauge and sender and to fit to verify its not the efis over reading.

As a side note it has a remote oil filter, which I have checked all pipes for kinks etc.

Dave

Direct quote from Lycoming TCDS:

"Oil: Maximum Minimum
Normal operation 95 p.s.i. 55 p.s.i.
Idling # 25 p.s.i.
Starting, warm-up, Taxi and Take off 115 p.s.i. #
"#" indicates does not apply"

So, that's it. Perfectly OK

Sounds good,

Suffering from information overload!!!

Bring back analog gauges all is forgiven lol!

No. Understand what you are looking at. :) and that is what you have done, learned something. You would have asked it with an old gauge too.

Last edited:
EVERYTHING else being equal the airplane with 75 psi oil pressure will be faster than the one with 100 psi oil pressure.

Pressure is not free.

Mark

New Lycomings always run high when cold.

I find if you let it run for 5 minutes and do a couple of good prop cycles - the pressure drops and all is then well.

We still get issues with oil pressure up to 95 and we have 150 hours on our engine and run on multigrade.

Imagine what it was like on my Zlin 526 with an oil tank in the wing and having to warm up 12 qts remotely........

Took forever :rolleyes:

Back