What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil pressure spring issue

JimWoo50

Well Known Member
Put the white spring in my prv last night to increase 60lb oil pressure and on engine start pressure went to the high end red line-90lbs or more. Now I'm thinking of putting the old screen and adding a couple more washers under it which would bring the total to 5. But someone once told me that 3 washers is the limit. Is this true?

Specs.

Put the white spring in my prv last night to increase 60lb oil pressure and on engine start pressure went to the high end red line-90lbs or more. Now I'm thinking of putting the old screen and adding a couple more washers under it which would bring the total to 5. But someone once told me that 3 washers is the limit. Is this true?

The 95 limit is only for "Normal Operating Conditions" per the Lycoming O-360 manual.

This is the other part of the specification -

Start, Warm-up, Taxi, and Take-off (All Models) 115 psi max.

Thanks Gil

I'm going to run it a little harder than the 1300 rpms last night with the white spring. It seemed to be settling down to about 85 lbs before I shut down. If it stays there I may stay with it but I did not like seeing the needle right up to redline on my van's gauge.

If Vans gauge does not have a max. scale physical stop, 115 psi would be pointing vertically downwards...:)

cat-med_vans-oilpress.jpg

Thanks guys I took the white spring out

And added 4 more washers to the old spring and oil pressure is right at 85 on startup. Perfect. Thanks a lot. Now if the weather in Chicago would finally clear I could go somewhere!

Back