What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Pressure Senders

N24YW

Well Known Member
Has anyone had troulbe with the Van's oil pressue gauges and senders. Mine seem to run okay for a while and then the oil pressure will drop to 20 psi and then back to 60. all in a couple of seconds. If I wiggle the terminal on the sender it seems to work for a couple of hours and then it happens again. I have put a mechincal gauge on the check the engine and it is rock solid at a given RPM. I have a new sender coming next day. But just wondering if anyone else has seen this problem

Jim Knight
Burlington Iowa
RV6
75 hours

Oil Pressure

I also have had the same problem. Sometimes it will be right on 70# and others it will fluctuate from 45 to 70#. These pressures are at cruise (2350RPM) 30# consistantly at idle.
Gerry Chancey, RV-9, N92GC & Cub N88583

UPDATE

I just installed a new sender tonight and it seems okay now. I see around 70-75 after the oil is up to temp, idle at about 35-40. I hope this cures my problem.

Jim Knight
burlignto Iowa
rv8 76 hours

Update found the problem

I have been struggleing with oil pressure flucating all over. I figured out the problem. I noticed that my pressure would jump around any time that I ran the motor between 2500-2550 rpms. I had mounted my sender directly to the back of the engine. My guess is that a vibration happens at this rpm and causes the wire wound sender to bounce. I moved the sender to the firewall and ran a hose to it. After the first test flight it seems to be alright now. Just wish I would have mounted it to the firewall to begin with.

Jim Knight
Burlington Iowa
RV-6

Back