What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Pressure port / hanging engine?

Rick_A

Well Known Member
If I use the aft facing oil pressure port on the O-360, do I need to install the fitting before hanging the engine on a -7A?

I found a thread where it was mentioned that you can't get to the side facing port after the engine is hung.

Oil port..

Yo brother... Use the aft facing port with the 45d restrictor fitting facing outboard.

If I use the aft facing oil pressure port on the O-360, do I need to install the fitting before hanging the engine on a -7A?

I found a thread where it was mentioned that you can't get to the side facing port after the engine is hung.
You cannot install a fluid fitting in the side facing port after the engine is installed....the mount is in the way. With factory magnetos installed on my IO-360, I quickly discovered that there is not enough clearance to install the 45 degree (restrictor) fluid fitting into the rear facing port so rather than break the factory torque stripe, I chose to simply use the side facing port instead.

In any event, I recommend installing all the fluid fittings on the rear of the engine prior to hanging it. It just makes things so much easier later on.

You may find this guide to engine hanging useful. Personally, I easily hung the engine on both my -6A and the -8 project without any help. Over the years, I've attended many an engine hanging party and my experience is too many helpers is akin to too many chefs running around the kitchen.

http://www.vansairforce.net/articles/IllustratedGuideToEngineHanging/enginehanging.htm

Last edited:
Yes

You can install the fitting in the aft facing port after you hang the engine. Removing the right magneto makes the task easier.
Steve

I installed the VA-128 fitting in the aft facing port and I've ordered STEEL fittings for the Oil Cooler lines that I will install prior to hanging the engine.

My engine came with the primer lines installed. I was going to remove them but it will be a real PITA to remove all the clamps on the sump bolts. Does anyone know of a fitting that I can use to cap off the primer line (the common port that would normally go to the primer pump) ?

I also installed the restricted VA-128 elbow in the rear port. Had to remove the right magneto top clamp and use a crow?s foot wrench but was easier than unmounting the engine ;).

Slightly off-topic; I read somewhere in the forum to use a restricted fitting on cylinder #3 for the MAP sensor hose. Van says to use a normal aluminum AN816-4D nipple. Granted a steel restricted fitting may be better but is it really necessary, could Van be wrong?

Back