What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil pickup Screen and spin on oil filter inspection

Have you found debris in the oil pickup screen and not in the spin on filter?

• I do not have a spin on filter.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never checked my pickup screen.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • I have found debris in the pickup screen but never changed the spin on filter.

• I check my pickup screen once a year and have found debris in the screen and not the spin on filter.

• I check the pickup every spin on change and have found debris in the screen and not the spin on.

• I check my pickup screen once a year and have never had anything in the screen or the spin on.

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • I check the pickup every spin on change and have never found anything in the screen or spin on.

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

RV6_flyer

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I am looking for info from those that fly Lycoming or Lycoming clone engines and have a spin on oil filter.

If you do not have a Lycoming or Lycoming clone engine with a spin on filter, your info is not going to be helpful.

I have never found anything in any Lycoming or Lycoming clone engine pickup screen without finding something also in the spin on oil filter. I want to know if others have had the same experience.

simple explanation

for that Gary is because the finger screen in the sump will not allow too big of a piece of 'something' to pass that it could cause an immediate stoppage of oil flow but it will allow smaller pieces through. Word of caution is if you find pieces too big the finger screen catches it and its metal, you probably had better investigate!

Allen

Gary - I polled in as a check once a year and nothing/nothing, but I have found particles in the oil filter (non-issue) but not in the screen as Allen suggest. I have never found anything in the pick up screen on either of my airplanes.

Back