What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil filter torque wrench

rightrudder

Well Known Member
Here's a cheap easy way to get that 16-18 ft-lb torque on the Champion filters at oil change time. Space is a little tight for a conventional torque wrench, but my 1" combination wrench measures out to just over a foot in length. Make a Sharpie mark at 1 foot, twist up a bit of safety wire, secure it at the mark with some blue tape, then dig out that fish scale you bought to measure nose-wheel break out force (for the -A folks at least!). Tug to 18 lb. and you're golden!

Oil filter torque wrench hack

Brilliant. Thank you.
--LeRoy Johnston RV-6A Esperanza 1000+ hours

Didn't Champion filters used to have markings indicating something like:

"To tighten: Hand tighten to contact, then rotate filter <some fraction of a turn>."

Does anyone remember that "fraction of a turn"?

Didn't Champion filters used to have markings indicating something like:

"To tighten: Hand tighten to contact, then rotate filter <some fraction of a turn>."

Does anyone remember that "fraction of a turn"?

3/4 turn was the number you remember.

The new Champion filters say 16-18 ft-lb right on the housing. If it meets both tests (torque wrench and 3/4 turn past contact), you're golden!

I thing the original filter was bonded in place with structural adhesive. :eek: I have the smashed pinkie to prove it, as it broke loose and my hand went into the forest of tabs on the firewall. Serves me right; I didn't have the correct wrench at the time, so I used a pair of Channel Locks.

Last edited:
I just happened to be doing an oil change today, and decided to check how close the 3/4 turn was to Teh pre-set Avery oil filter torque wrench. Snugged it to where it stopped spinning, then put the wrench on it - clicked at almost exactly 3/4 turn.

Isn't it nice when things just....work? :)

Back