What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Filter on a new engine

Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to put the break-in oil into my new IO-390-A3B6 engine that was run briefly on a test stand at Lycoming before shipment. The engine oil was drained and a preservative oil was installed. Since I am not storing the engine, I drained the preservation oil. Obviously, there is an oil filter on the engine. I don't know if this was the filter on the engine during the test stand run or if it was replaced with a new one before shipment. I have an email into Lycoming Tech Service, but don't have an answer yet. Do any of you guys know if I need to replace this filter before running the engine? I hate to throw away a new, or almost new, filter.

I am getting ready to put the break-in oil into my new IO-390-A3B6 engine that was run briefly on a test stand at Lycoming before shipment. The engine oil was drained and a preservative oil was installed. Since I am not storing the engine, I drained the preservation oil. Obviously, there is an oil filter on the engine. I don't know if this was the filter on the engine during the test stand run or if it was replaced with a new one before shipment. I have an email into Lycoming Tech Service, but don't have an answer yet. Do any of you guys know if I need to replace this filter before running the engine? I hate to throw away a new, or almost new, filter.
Run it 20 hrs on mineral oil and then remove the filter and inspect it. No need to toss a nearly new filter.

I am 99.999% sure that it's a brand new filter -- they pull (and presumably open and inspect) the test stand one. When I pulled mine during installation there was no sign of any oil having been in it.

Reactions: MED
My practice is to pull the oil filter & oil at about 12 hrs, install new oil & filter & run for 20 more hrs. Revert to normal 50 hr changes after this.
You can open first filter, there will most likely be some material in there but don’t get too worried unless you see major deposits (like a tea spoon or more collection of metal shavings). It is quite normal to see some flakes of metal on new or overhauled engines on first filter.

I would pull the filter off and see if there is any oil in it. Turn it upside down and drain any oil out. If none, its new. If some oil comes out, I wouldn't worry about it. Not enough preservative oil left in it to dilute the 7 or 8 quarts of new oil you just put in.

Back