What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

oil filter clearance

Larry

I just hung my engine. It is a Penn Yam Aero XE 320. The oil filter has only 1/4 inch clearance from the rear engine mount support. I am concerned that on landing or with vibration the filter will hit the support. Is there a smaller dia or shorter oil filter that can be used? Did any one have this problem? The oil filter is a Kelly Aerospace ES48108.

There is an approximate 2 inch thick spacer that can be installed between the oil filter adapter and the accessory housing that will move the filter aft. If this will give you the clearance to the mount member that you require, that may be the way to go.
http://www.eci2fly.com/pdf/03-2.pdf
shows what I am talking about.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

FYI I am buying a Oil Filter Adapter Extension from ECI that will move the adapter aft 3/4 inches. Its part number AEL106-1 and will cost $55. You can search the ECI Web Site by part number for details. This will insure that the filter does not hit the motor mount.

Breather Hose

Larry,

How did you mount your Crankcase breather tube - it needs to go in the same place as the angled oil filter.

I just completed that. I cut the present tube about 10 inches up and used a 3/4 inch hose from the engine to the top of the tube. At that point I put on another clamp mounted to the fire wall. The hose whent from the engine, left along the motor mount till it was past the filter than aft to the fire wall then down to the tube. All bends were high radius. Adding the 3/4" to the adapter really helps. It also makes puting on mechanical tack transducer at lot eaiser.

Larry

Thanks larry

I think my plan is similar, just added the 3/4" spacer tonight. Any chance you could post or send a pic of what you did?

Back