What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Fill Door Dimensions

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
For those with the standard (pre-cut) oil door, could you tell me the cutout dimensions and distance from the firewall? I assume the vertical cutout runs parallel to the firewall?

I have a James cowl and you need to cut your own. I know generally where to put it, but I was hoping to get the Vans cowl dimensions as a reference.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott, you know I have the same setup... Stock Van's door didn't really work.. I kept a little "flange" around the cutout so my door is slightly smaller than what Van's gives you.. maybe 1/2" or less.. If you keep about 1/2" "flange" area you should be fine (don't cut all the way to the core material)..

PS. I made my own door.. just lay it up before you make the cutout..

Thanks Radomir. I'm planning to make my own...just trying to figure out where best to make the cutout.

How big was your cutout and how far from the firewall was it?

THanks,
Scott

From memory -- I think it was 5.75 x 5.5 or something like that.. don't remember how far from firewall.. I believe that size allowed 1/2" of fiberglass "flange" around the core material in all directions. can't give exact measurements now.. far far away from my project right now.. be back in a few weeks. :)

Back