What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

oil coolers

DWC7A

I have an IO375 Aerosport and about to purchase an oil cooler for my RV7A. I am looking for ideas what other people are using and if they did a baffle mount or firewall mount. I am in the Houston area and lets say we have pretty hot summers. At my house the average high temp has been 102 to 103 for over a month. The last thing I want is high oil temps. Thanks in advance for the input.

Dennis Conner
RV7A
Aerosport IO375
Solid state ignition, solid state injection,
engine hung working
firewall forward.

oil cooler ??

Bart is on vacation till next week. Just wondering what people were using and if they were happy with their choice.

Thanks

Dennis
RV7A

S&W 8432R

I'm in the Phx area. It is a little hot here. Came home from work in the RV last night at 8 pm. Still 109!!!!

I'm using a baffle mounted S&W 8432R. Temps in this heat will hit 205. Usually stay below 200. Should work fine on the 375.

The new project (7 with IO390) will use the RV10 cooler mounted on the firewall with 4" SCEET.

Bart recommends the 10599R

I have an IO-375 in an RV-7 and spoke with Bart at Aerosport about this last year. He recommended the 10599R instead of the more common 8432R.

The SW 10599R is a good one. We've got one on the RV-8 with a high-end ECI Titan IO-360 (9.2:1 compression, roller lifters, piston squirters, cold air induction etc). It has been doing a fantastic job of keeping this engine in the 190-205 range flying in north Texas summer heat, with climb temps usually no worse that the 215-220 range. I haven't been flying it much after late mornings when the OAT passes the triple digit mark, because it just ain't fun anymore.

Last weekend however, with OAT around 95 deg, the owner saw 220 oil temp in level cruise and 230 in climb, so we've probably developed an air leak in the baffles somewhere that's pressurizing the lower cowl area too much. I saw similar oil temps happen right after the annual in early July when we re-installed the cowl and got a rubber baffle piece next to one of the cowl inlet tunnels folded under the wrong way and had a big air leak there. Strangely enough, it did not affect CHTs at all, just the oil cooling.

EDIT: If you can find the room to mount it, the SW 10611R is even bigger.

Last edited:
Van's Niagara unit works for me on an O-375-A1A, 9:1 compression and a few other tricks, installed in a -7 on the baffles behind #4. I've blocked off 1/3 of the fins and still oil temps don't exceed 175 in high ambients.

I've blocked fins in several 8.5+:1 360s in -7s with Lycoming cylinders. ECi's always have pushed oil and CHTs much higher. Might be wise to say what jugs you're using in answering this thread.

John Siebold

Back