What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil cooler to/from engine connections question

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Plans call for a straight AN8 fitting on the connection just over the left magneto. But I have a right angle oil filter adapter here. Would it be OK to use a 45 degree fitting here?

cooler_fitting_1.jpg

Also on the other side where the -- I think -- to cooler fitting is, what direction should that fitting be clocked?

cooler_fitting_2.jpg

Bob, I have a 45 degree fitting there to clear the oil filter. Also, just clock the fittings to provide hose clearance.

IMG_4646.jpg

Bob,
the engine that I have from AeroSport (O-360 vertical induction) has the 45 degree fitting installed and clocked so that it faces down and slightly to the left (pilot side), so that the fitting points towards the left bottom corner of the firewall recess - (this is on a 6A). I have not started to install the cooler hoses yet, so don't know if this clocking is correct, but it is the way AeroSport clocked it and they of course do a lot of RV engines.
By the way, AeroSport installed steel fittings.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa Canada
RV-6A finishing kit

Hey Bob,
I did these AN fittings backwards because I have the 90-degree oil filter adapter, as well. The 45 degree fitting is now on the left, and the straight one is on the right.

The hose that used the straight fitting (but was supposed to be a 45) could've been a hair longer...but it fits and doesn't strain the hose or the fittings. I used the regular aluminum fittings that Van's supplied with the kit. I figure that they know what they're doing. I just made sure to use a little fuel lube to keep the threads from galling.

Last edited:
I second that on the steel AN fittings. An aluminum AN fitting might have been the cause of Relentless blowing up at Reno this year. It is worth the extra couple bucks in the oil system.

Tom

I second that on the steel AN fittings. It is worth the extra couple bucks in the oil system.

Tom

I prefer steel for 2 reasons:
1) Stronger, I use steel on all engine fittings.
2) You can tigthen the bejesus out of them to line them up and they won't gall the threads.

Back