What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Cooler Placement

jpowell13

Well Known Member
I'm finishing up an RV6A and an A&P friend was looking it over for me. He recommended moving my oil cooler from the lower baffle at the left inlet since this is a low pressure area, and he thought it would not get enough dense air.

The front location is shown as an option in my plans, and I have a scoop to direct more air through the oil cooler. What my friend said makes sense, but I was just checking to see if others had had success with the front location before I change it up. I'm in Baton Rouge where high temps are common.

That's where it is on our RV-6 (serial numbr 4, built 21 years ago). I don't think I'd put it there if I was building from scratch, but I haven't felt the need to move it (living in Houston). The left rear baffle position has worked well for me on other aircraft.

I had good success with that location on my first RV4. Like Paul said, It probably wouldn't be my first choice of locations, but I wouldn't change it.
You might be surprised and get good cooling contrary to the nay sayers

Paul and Jon,

Nothing like the school of experience! Thanks for sharing yours with me.

Paul, I think Houston can be the hottest place on earth in August, so, if it worked for you then the front baffle location should work for me.

John

See NASA 3405 for upper plenum pressure maps with various inlets.....there is some difference between the forward and the rear wall locations. Oil cooler inlet air temperature will be lower with the front location, probably about 10 degrees. On the flip side, the front location isn't nearly as convenient.

Dan,

If I'm reading those pressure maps correctly, there doesn't seem to be much difference in pressure at the front and rear. I'm guessing Bernolli's effect is pretty strong near the opening with Van's little airfoils glued to the top of the cowling. I have an 0-320 engine, so, maybe it won't make as much heat as the bigger ones.

I used the front location because I got baffles with my engine and saved the bottom portion which had provision for a front mounted oil cooler. Getting the hoses and fittings to clear the lower cowling proved to be a little bit of a problem though. On the plus side, I like that the front location shifts some of the weight forward.

Thanks for the Nasa report reference.

John

I put my RV4 oil cooler on the left rear air baffle and had to block it off severely (not completely) to get the oil up to 180 deg. on 30-40 deg. days. Long oil lines (front mounted oil coolers) make me nervous.

JMHO

Apples & Oranges.

I put my RV4 oil cooler on the left rear air baffle and had to block it off severely (not completely) to get the oil up to 180 deg. on 30-40 deg. days. Long oil lines (front mounted oil coolers) make me nervous.
JMHO

I believe the original poster is building a side-by-side RV. The RV-4 is notorious for "over cooling" with any decent oil cooler. SBSs are not.

Back