What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil cooler hose size

aerhed

Well Known Member
A friend has me doing FWF on his 6. It's been set up with a front mounted cooler (L inlet). He's provided me with a jumble of beat up plans and several boxes of "stuff" (gee thanks). Anyway, it has -6D fittings hanging on the cooler and accessory case. Question: Are the cooler hoses on a RV6 s'posed to be -6 or -8? I'm ordering steel fittings, firesleeve, etc. today. Do I need to go to -8 hose on the cooler?
Also, which bracket works best for the throttle/mixt cables (O-360, FP, Larry crossover)?

I would definitely go with #8

I'm sure everyone knows this but me. C'mon give me a hint.

I would definitely go with #8 fittings and hose. I recall years ago having #6 on my first RV-4, that a person in the know convinced me to change to #8 for the reduction in resistance to oil flow and increased volume.

Mine are -8's

RV-9A, O-320-H2AD, nine row cooler firewall mounted. Oil cooler lines are -8's.

Fuel lines are -6.

The UPS man just delivered them from Tom at TSFlighlines. :)

RIck 90432

What I found today in Vans build book: O-320 is okay with 3/8 hoses, O-360 & up use 1/2. So, I'll get some -8 303 & some fittings. I'll tell the owner he's got 20 gallons worth of blue fittings & -6 hose leftover.

Back