What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Cooler Box - Plan Pages 49-09 and 49-10

MartySantic

Well Known Member
If you do not want to get frustrated, be VERY CAREFUL when following the plans on page 49-09 & 49-10. They may be partially correct BUT the descriptors used are not consistent which increases the confusion level to the maximum.

Dry fit all of the components and then mark which hole has to be C/S and which hole has to be dimpled. The rivets have to be flush adjacent to the oil cooler AND the rivets have to be flush where they contact the fiberglass cooling shroud.

I read the plans initially, and marked which side had to be C/S or dimpled and STILL got it wrong. I am so glad I read ahead here.

Dry fit the components, mark each hole and the side of the hole that has to be C/S or dimpled and READ AHEAD.

These two plan pages are POOR!!!

Last edited:
Totally agree Marty. The description of "inside" and "outside" gets way to confusing in this application, and is not held consistent through the task.

Basically, all you are doing is building a box to hold the oil cooler. Flush rivets heads go "on" the fiberglass, and "on" the oil cooler. Also, I'm not sure why they called out 4 ea of the AN470xxxx 4-4 (domed head) rivets when the AN4-3 pulled rivets would have been a much better choice to hold the end cap on. The 4-4's are too long for this application and bend over when squeezing them.

These two pages definitely need a sever make over. ;)

I sent an e-mail to Vans concerning this a few days ago.

Last edited:
Back