What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil change

lewy

Well Known Member
Hi, getting ready for the 25 hour inspection. Do most of you burp the engine before draining the oil and also do you fill the filter before adding oil back into the engine after draining the used oil. Do we also do the procedure for the first engine run to make sure the lifters are pumped up, just wondering how everyone else does it, 25 hours of flying with no issues. Don Lewis, Jackson Ohio

Hi Don,
The Rotax literature says to rotate the propeller to get the oil all into the tank.

The Rotax oil filters now being sold do not accept oil. The old ones did and with those I put some oil in the filter. The literature never said that was necessary but it couldn't hurt.

According to my reading of the Manuals, changing the oil and filter does not constitute breaking into the oil system and there is no need to go thru the oil purge procedure. The oil change procedure does not say to bleed the system, but it does say to turn the engine 20 turns by hand after the filter is installed and new oil added.

You know what...I shouldn't be telling you this, you should read the manual ;). http://www.rotax-aircraft-engines.com/portaldata/5/dokus/d04931.pdf

Tony

Hello

Don,

Tony has it correct. But the manual is good.

Glad to see you guys are flying. We should plan a trip somewhere between your location and mine in east PA (find a half way point) We talked about somewhere east of Pittsburgh. Say hello to Kyle and the rest of the family.

I will be out of my phase 1 most likely this weekend and free to go! :)

Info

Thanks Tony, just checking to make sure we do it right the first time, my son has read the manual and I like to check how the pro's do it to make sure we don t miss anything. We sure appreciate your help during and after the build. Don

Back