What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Canning Issue .....

Brantel

Well Known Member
Working on finishing up the fuselage and have been eyeballing this front side skin ever since the day I had it cleco'ed to the fuse substructure. I noticed the area in question had a tendency to oil can but I incorrectly assumed that once the front side angles were riveted on, the issue would be resolved. I was wrong, it made it worse. The right side came out normal.

Anyone had this issue and if so, what did you do to fix it?

Video Here ....

Attachments

• IMG_5369.jpg
    IMG_5369.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 399
Oil Canning - Paintless Dent Removal

A few weeks back I put a dent in the round leading edge of one of my flaperons right next to the inboard pivot point. I used hot glue to pull it out and it is now just barely noticeable. Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) kits are really cheap on Amazon and there are lots of videos on YouTube how to use them. Just do a little at a time. Worked to improve some dents on my old pickup truck too!

Oil canning is caused by having one or more of the flanges not be perfectly aligned with the overlaying skin. You might try to coax the riveted flange to a slightly different angle. It is hard to do with it riveted, since getting a bend in the aluminum takes a bit of extra movement to account for the springback.

A few weeks back I put a dent in the round leading edge of one of my flaperons right next to the inboard pivot point. I used hot glue to pull it out and it is now just barely noticeable. Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) kits are really cheap on Amazon and there are lots of videos on YouTube how to use them. Just do a little at a time. Worked to improve some dents on my old pickup truck too!

Thanks but this is not a dent. It pops out as easily as it pops in.

I would drill out the majority of rivets on that panel. Then re-rivet working from the inside towards the edges like you would on a wing skin.

Stiffener?

Ask vans about adding a fluted (slightly curved) stiffener there, just like the one aft of that area.

sorry, i can't tell by your pic what is going on but maybe my problem was similar to yours. just aft on side of fuse. i had an area that was almost as happy oil canned as not. i cut a piece of aviation 1/16''plywood to about the size of a paint stirrer. i used proseal and used it to push the oilcanned area out from the cockpit. i kept the plywood in place for several days for it to set. i used a half dozen spring loaded clothes pins and dowels of the proper length to keep a slight pressure on the wood. after the proseal set i added a few more strips to the first in a similar manner but used epoxy. the wood is way down and forward by the rudder pedals. doesn't show and no more oil canning.

Welcome to the John Deere oil can special! Unnerving at first but you get used to it. The 12....she's a canner!

Give it time. Leave it in the sun for a few days.

Last edited:
I drilled out the bottom row of rivets back to the first vertical brace. I then massaged the top edge/flange of the lower corner skin then replaced the rivets.

Problem solved!

Back