What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil analysis, high silicon

Sig600

Well Known Member
Anyone have any ideas to high silicone in an oil analysis? Lab says there are no wear metals so they don't suspect abrasive dirt, it's been a trend since new (four oil changes now).... Everything else looks great.

Silicone is sand. Look for a failed air filter. Also, are any silicone sealants used on the engine?
Think of any thing made with silicon that might be in contact with the engine oil or the intake air.

Last edited:
Silicone is sand. Look for a failed air filter. Also, are any silicone sealants used on the engine?
Think of any thing made with silicon that might be in contact with the engine oil or the intake air.

Like orange silicone valve cover seals?

I think Silicone and Silicon are two different things. But I'm not a chemist, and I didn't sleep at any Motel or Hotel last night!! :rolleyes:

You sure it wasn't Silicon in the oil analysis? As mentioned above, Silicon is usually "dirt". Sand, dust, etc.

Last edited:
I believe it has happened with wear of the pistons, usually the skirt area. Silicon is used in some aluminium alloys.

Take a deep breath, relax, and...

Most common source is as Gill noted above. The analysis is primarily trend info. Start using Aeroshell multi grade and you'll probably get a spike in copper as well.All of the detail available today is great, but it can drive you nuts,if you let it. A little like checking a stock portfolio two or three times a day.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Pete you're right, silicon.

This oil change I used a dab of oil to lube the filter gasket to see if that's the culprit. I use a K&N filter, and last change I cleaned and oiled it, but then saw a bigger spike so I'm suspect if the filter oil could be a source as well.

Has anyone ever torn down or overhauled their engine based on an oil analysis? (you know where I'm going with this).

Has anyone ever torn down or overhauled their engine based on an oil analysis? (you know where I'm going with this).

Yes, not strictly based upon it, but as a contributing factor. Perhaps 25 flight hours earlier than I would have, if I had not been doing routine analysis.

Back