What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil access door

kboyd59

Some time ago I came accross an article on building the oil access door that could be opened from inside the cockpit by pullng a cable. Does anyone remember seeing this article or do you know if someone sells the hardware to make this work. Thanks for any help.

I agree with the above statement. Extra weight and extra work to remove the cowling. Stick with Van's plans and you will be in the air faster. Somethings are not worth reinventing.

Oil Door

I reversed the motion of the oil door and it opens inward against spring pressure. I haven't yet found the perfect spring so it hangs open about 1/2" on the ground but closes up tightly under pressure in flight. No exposed fasteners and no complicated latching or hinge systems.

Keith
RV9A
In first annual inspection!

Did you have to move anything under the cowling to make room for it to open fully?

And you might want to fix that spring soon - that's an open invitation for critters to make a home in your baffles!

Inward Opening Oil Door

Didn't need to move anything under the cowling. I have a Sam James cowling which is slightly different from the Vans cowling. Put the door in about the same position (got the measurements from a standard Vans cowling).

The cowling horizontal hinge pins are inserted from inside the cabin so I have only 4 exposed fasteners on the outside of the cowling - all flush. That was the primary driver for doing something different with the door - minimal exposed fasteners.

Keith

N355RV

hidden but not inside cabin

you could hide it and get access from the front inlet cowl opening with a hinge wire. sorry can't find any good picts.
here's a couple of the inside.
422071ec6.jpg

42307ei5.jpg

Back