What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oh my I began the plunge

docrick

I just ordered the preview plans for the 9a. I've been deliberating for a year whether to buy an old Cessna 182 (I don't need 4 seats for 99% of my flying) or building a plane.

Then which plane to build? After much thought and with the wifes blessing I'm plunging into the world of the RV 9a!

After the plans arrive I'll prep the work area and build 2 EAA tables and drive up to VANS to pick up the EMP kit (I only live 3 1/2 hours away in So. Oregon.)

What have I got myself into!

I feel like a kid on Christmas day.

Welcome to the experience of a lifetime. When I was where you are, I couldn't think about anything else for the next 2.5 years (and still can't). You're going to have a ball.

Welocme aboard. I, too, have just started. But, unless you already have other workbenches, tool stands, etc. plan on more than two of the EAA benches. I've found it necessary to add a couple of smaller ones: A place for the vice, grinder, band saw, dimpler, etc. Now with them and the compressor, shop vac, tool box, radial arm saw and the stuff the wife insists be stored in the garage, I'm beginning to wonder about floor space!

Congrats on taking the Plunge!

You will find the project to be very rewarding. It's always a wonderful feeling on 'riveting' day, when you get to see some parts going to together for the final time. Have fun.

B.T.W. if you are building workbenches, make sure to put everything on wheels. I find myself moving things around the garage all the time. Having shelfs and benches on wheels really helps.

Giddy Up!

You are gonna love it. Building is fun, you will make new friends, and the -9A is great flying airplane. My plane has been flying for a year now and I have no regrets at all. Will build another someday.

Plenty of help here in the archives and by just asking a question.

Congratulations

......and from your profile, you enjoy flyfishing. Others have installed a tube through the rear baggage plate to hold rods, etc.

Welcome to the trip of a lifetime, Doc,

......and from your profile, you enjoy flyfishing. Others have installed a tube through the rear baggage plate to hold rods, etc.

Welcome to the trip of a lifetime, Doc,

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice. Flyfishing is a passion and the future 9a will be landing at that nice grass strip right next to Henry's lake in Idaho so I can fish Henrys Fork often!

Welcome!

I hope you enjoy the building process as much as the rest of us.

Every time you see someone?s signature that includes a web site check it out. There is a lot of good information on all of those sites.

Also, I highly recommend you learn how to use this web site. Do searches when you have a problem, you will probably find the answer already posted. Don't hesitate to reply to an old thread, other new builders might have the same question.

When you finish, you will have the best airplane in the world!

Back