What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Odyssey PC680 Acid Spill

BruceW

Well Known Member
After returning from Osh, I pulled the cowling for a quick check. Found stains on the firewall below the PC680. Turns out it was an acid spill. (yes, there is a relief valve under the top sticker.) Nasty clean up with baking soda paste. Fortunately, the fouled paint is only on the belly. No evidence of any problem during operation. Pulled the Denso alternator and regulator checked out fine.

Only thing I can think of is an overheat during a hot start on a hot ramp in Nebraska after refueling. Long crank with short, high amp charge after start during climb out. I will put a blast tube on the battery just in case.

Anyone have an acid spill from this type of battery ???

Thanks Kurt. Good to know.
No cracks found on mine.
Just acid venting from the top relief valve.

Hope my new replacement PC680 does better, and not a larger product issue.

From experiance these batteries only vent electolyte for one of three reasons. #1 Battery is left in a deep discharged state for several days and cell plate sulfation causes increased internal pressure that pops the vent caps loose. #2 Severe overcharging causes increased internal pressure that pops the vent caps loose. #3 The case cracks due to mishandling, or incorrect installation.

Thanks Mike. Good info.

Regarding your options in my case . . .
#1- battery was operating in the mid-12 volt range during the entire Osh trip. No 'dead battery' or recharge.
#2- Could the 'hot charge' that I described in my OP cause this?
(the alt/regulator checked out with charge in the mid 14's.)
3#- no cracks found.

Back