What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Odyssey PC-680 Alternatives?

PCHunt

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I realize that by asking the question, I am committing heresy! :eek:

Anyone have experience with PowerSonic PS-12180, or any other similar battery? When you look at the specs, they are similar. And at $44.00, if it's even close, one could save $$. :rolleyes:

I am using a Panasonic 12V-20AH battery bought from DigiKey. First one lasted 4 years. It was getting weak and I replaced it this year with another on just like it.

Tommy Walker
RV-6A, N 350 TW
402 hours

Panasonic LC X1220P

I had 2 of these batteries in my RV-8 for over 5 years.
I replaced them with new ones so I could use the 2 old ones to install in my
RV-10 project.
The originals were less than 30 dollars, however the price is now around $60.-
Everyone around here uses them with good results.
Save your money for gas.

Check out the PSH-12180

If you're interested in trying a Power-Sonic battery, you might consider the PSH-12180. It has the same case as the PS-12180, but is designed specifically for high-rate discharge applications and has a higher 21.0 amp-hour capacity rating. It comes standard with a nut-and-bolt terminals.

If you're interested in trying a Power-Sonic battery, you might consider the PSH-12180. It has the same case as the PS-12180, but is designed specifically for high-rate discharge applications and has a higher 21.0 amp-hour capacity rating. It comes standard with a nut-and-bolt terminals.
I've been using PowerSonic batteries in my -6 for over 16 years. They typically last between 4 & 6 years. Since they are sealed lead acid, they are not picky about charge rates.
Never had one go out without plenty of warning.

Just an update on this - I bought a PS-12180NB from PPS. It is a very tight fit in the Odyssey mount from Vans. I had to remove the box from the firewall to get it in. I don't think it'll be too hard to get it back out again, but it certainly won't be sliding out easily.

Tempest Battery

I just installed one of these in the -9A. $65 Drop in replacement for the PC680 that had 5+years and at least 2 trips to the land of the dead and back.

It even has screw terminals just like the 680. It was a snug fit, so we lightly sanded the case corners, now it fits great.

I'll let you know what kind of life we get out of it.

BAB22-12.jpg

Back