What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Odyssey Life Span

Glen Lewis

Odyssey PC680

I've just passed four years and 360 hours on my Odyssey PC680 battery. Am I pushing my luck? Are others replacing their Odysseys before four years? What kind of life are you getting out of your Odyssey?

I just hit 355 hours, will be 3 years next week. I believe I had the battery for 6 months prior to first flight.

Still going strong.

I thought it was a "10 year" battery. I know anyone would be stretching it to make it last that long, but I would hope it'd last more than 3 or 4 years.

I must be conservative!

I have two of them in my RV-10 and I replace one every year so I only keep them in the plane for two years at the most.
I have a couple of BMW motorcycles that I use them in after I take them out.

That makes me feel better that I should not have an issue with them.

PC680

I will have 6 years of which one year was wiring avionics/panel etc. and 5 years with a total of 300 hours flight time and the battery is still going strong.

Dick DeCramer
N500DD RV6 flying
RV8 Fuselage
Northfield, MN

Still strong

My 680 has 455 hours on it. I've only left the Master on once:mad: and used one of my RC chargers to bring it back at a very slow rate of charge. I had it a year before flying.

It is still going strong but I keep a close eye on it.

I'm with Scott Schmidt. Electrically dependant in the soup dictates for me to replace it every two years. Just did it the other day. About $110, makes me sleep better.

Whether a battery is "good" or not is typically determined by most pilots by whether it can crank the engine. But what is WAY more important than this is when you're in the soup, or at night, and your alternator fails. Do you have active alarms that will tell you that you even HAVE an alternator failure? Or do you wait for the lights to dim and your radio to fail when you're trying to respond to ATC's repeated attempts to contact you? (Been there done that)

The real measure of whether your battery is good is whether it still has 17 A-Hr of capacity. Thus, the real answer to this question requires that you perform a capacity test on the battery. Determine what your worst-case in-flight loads will be when your alternator fails. Remove the battery from the aircraft and put a load of that many amps on the battery. Monitor voltage as the test progresses and determine the time that voltage stays at an acceptable level. Typically, this should be at least an hour. If not, replace the battery.

For an excellent discussion on this very topic, refer to the Aeroelectric Connection, by Bob Nuckolls. Or go search the Aeroelectric Connection's forum archives. Tons of great info on there on this very topic.

Noah is right.

Last year going into Osh the alternator failed on our plane. Our 9 is equipped with a single Odyssey PC680 that is around 3 years old now. It has been the victom of a master switch that was left on for 3 weeks and then from a charger that didn't' have enough kick to get it charging in the correct polarity. (Somebody told me this isn't uncommon with these types of batteries, but I don't know where.) So after using an old charger on wheels from a service station that hummed when the juice was turned on the battery charged correctly. After about two minutes on that the charger designed for the Odyssey did the trick. In other words this thing was dead, dead, dead. Okay, back to Osh. A friend was flying on my wing and with the distraction I never saw the indication on the panel that my alternator had given up. By the time it was noticed we were only a short distance from Osh so everything that could be turned off was and we continued inbound. Running only the 496 to navigate and taking advantage of its internal battery the only worry was whether or not the electronic ignition would act up, or so I thought. So inbound we continued and as we got close I turned on the number one radio that has no gps to consume power. Right after hearing "Nice wing wag RV, continue behind the Bonanza ahead" my radio started cutting in and out. I powered up the number two and it wouldn't work. It was very busy now, both in the air and turning on the handheld which was out and ready. It was around this point that I discovered that the flaps wouldn't go down with the voltage available, nor would the airplane trim. So there we were on final to Osh with no flaps, badly out of trim with very heavy controls, a hand held being held up to my ear by the passenger, and a plane in front of me and behind me that will all be sharing the same runway at the same time. My mind kept going to my Lightspeed and whether or not it would become an issue which would leave me with only a mag to boot. The lightspeed never gave any indication of any problem. The plane simply ran beautifully! Later after landing and setting up camp I tried to purchase a battery at Osh thinking that this thing should just be trashed after twice being completely dead in its two year life at this point. I purchased a battery from spruce, but it wasn't an Odyssey because they didn't have one, or anybody else for that matter. We walked all over looking for one. Back at the plane we discovered that this battery wouldn't fit into the Odyssey mounting box. Spruce took the battery back and off we went to try and get the Odyssey charged. After about 6 hours on the chargers at the help area at Osh the battery was ready to try. A plane parts alternator was purchased and installed replacing the one that came in my FWF kit from Vans that was well used when I got it. This was my third alternator failure with that alternator with the internal regulator being the weak link. We have been flying the plane for another year now and the battery is strong and reliable. On the coldest winter days in our area that come in around 25 degrees F the prop spins with gusto when the key is turned. These are very hearty batteries indeed. ( I also have a belief that my Lighspeed will continue to run until my fuel is exhausted just as advertised. )

If flying IFR I'd probably replace my battery often also, but this post was just to show the way these Odysseys can bounce back from being horribly abused.

Last edited:
Gee Bryan

reading your paost I was wondering why you didn't declare an emergency..Then I read you had a mag so there was no chance of the engine quitting...And you can't really declare without a radio/transponder..:)

My Odyssey is coming up on 3 years old and I have a TOTALLY electrically dependant airplane...IFR and electric fuel pumps only.

I have to agree on the visual warning of an alt failure is marginal, an audible alarm is much better.

I also run an SD8 backup which is really essential..I'm thinking the Oddysey might be good for some time under this set up..But I would like at least 30 minutes under min load from the battery.

I will do a test at this years annual.

Frank

There's been a few posts around Odyssey 680 longevity the past couple days and it seems most are getting 3-4 years out of the battery. I installed the battery in October 2006 during the build phase and during that time it was cycled from charged to drained multiple times. It's been flying now for over a year but I did notice that after sitting at the paint shop for 2 months, it seems like it's spinning the prop OK on start, but taking longer to start, especially when cold. It used to start right up after a couple seconds boost (It's FI), but now when cold, it takes three to four tries. Just in case I've ordered a new battery. I'm thinking that with the abuse of the build charge/drain cycles and sitting in Texas for a couple months during the winter, it's starting to show it's age. Does this sound fairly normal?

Jim

If your running a mag then all the battery is doing is cranking the engine. If the engine is cranking as normal then this is not the battery..You could try prining a bit more and see if that improves the s situation.

Frank

2.5 years

I got 2.5 years and 18 months of that was during the build. Vans discounted the replacement by almost 50%.

After 4 years of use the engine was slow to start so I replaced it. My friend had the same life out of his, 4 years. We both have O-360's, 180hp. Bill.

Back