What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Odyssey Battery Mount

Bob McAuliffe

I would like to use an Odyssey battery on the firewall of my RV8 QB. Van's does not sell an Odyssey mount for the RV8. Should I just use the standard Concord mount provided by Van's?

Bob,

I don't think Vans sells anything special. IMHO, I would go with the bigger mount and modify it so it can handle the battery and that gives you options later.

Also, are you doing fixed pitch or CS? If CS, recommend battery placement at least in the fwd baggage area and/or in the rear baggage area due to CG concerns. If going CS (especially Hartzell) and battery up front, you will be battling a forward CG condition.

Keep squishing those rivets!

-Rob

Odyssey and CS prop are not ALWAYS an issue.

I'm doing the same thing -- an Odyssey battery on the firewall. And I'm using a CS prop. My plan is to modify the stock Van's battery tray to take the smaller battery. The firewall location seems a lot easier to access than if the battery were in the bottom of the forward baggage compartment, for example. Not to mention the hassle-factor of running the heavy-gauge wire back to the aft baggage compartment.

As Rob mentioned above, the C.G. with the forward battery, an angle-valve IO-360, and the Hartzell CS prop can be an issue, but I plan to use a lighter composite prop and a lighter parallel-valve engine, plus I'll have a smoke-oil reservoir and pump in the aft baggage compartment, all of which will negate the effect of that tiny battery on the firewall. My calculated CG is almost dead-center.

If you put your ELT, strobe power supply and a few other heavier goodies in the aft baggage compartment (or, even better, aft of it), you can actually make the numbers work out pretty well.

YMMV.

Last edited:
Odyessey in a Concord mount?

I just got an Odyessey to replace the Concord on the firewall (with the standard Concord mount). It seems that modifying the existing tray would be the easiest course of action... Anyone have thoughts on it or already been there'n done that?
-Mark
Haze grey RV-8

ORDER ONE FOR A 7....

Bob McAuliffe said:
I would like to use an Odyssey battery on the firewall of my RV8 QB. Van's does not sell an Odyssey mount for the RV8.
It will fit right on your ATE :cool:

I used the Odyssey mount from Van's THEN cut off the forward part of the
-8 battery tray that the starter solenoid/master relay bolt to, and attached it to the Odyssey box. Result is a lighter battery in the standard location that doesn't stick out as much. Pretty cool!

Made a "tray insert " from sheet and angle that goes in the Concord Van's battery tray to hold the Odyssey base, and bent some sheet to make a bracket onto the hold down bar for the top... Easiest way if you had fitted all the Concord stuff before thinking about an Odyssey!

Advertised hold down box looks easy - but for a -3g aircraft + 50% safety factor with that small flange? In the UK I am not sure the PFA would approve it ;)

Back