What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Odyssey Battery, Data base updates, Charging

vasrv7a

Well Known Member
:confused:With some of the recent issues discussed related to the service life of Odyssey PC 680 batteries and how charging (or not charging) may affect the service life... I have a question for those who have Garmin G3X glass panels with data bases that have to get updated monthly.

Using an HD card per instructions in the Garmin G3X manual, the data base update process takes about 20 minutes per display, and I have 2 displays (40 minutes total), and these displays have to be powered up during the update process. I have been updating the databases with the charger connected only during the update process (I've been using the Deltran Waterproof Battery Tender). Using the charger this way, my battery lasted in service for about 2 years. I can't see waiting the 40 minutes until after the databases are updated to connect the charger because I can imagine that the battery will drain down to an unacceptable level.

How are others dealing with doing monthly database updates while keeping the battery charged properly?

Suggestions??

Thanx.

Victor

I run my system with an external power supply for hangar flying and firmware/database updates.

Agree with Brian here. You can pick up a power supply from eBay for less than $100 (some are around $50) that provide the exact AMPs and are adjustable to your DC output needs. It's a great way to run your EFIS for updates and get to learn all the functions without draining the battery. As others said here before, fly your plane often and don't worry about charging the battery. I know some folks here have stated that they believe the battery chargers are actually the cause of the constant battery failures.

I found this article and will attempt to revive my dead pc680 of 2 yrs. that was run down to 0 volts. http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/general/hrdp_1009_how_to_charge_a_agm_battery/

I took my "dead" 2 yr old battery to a local Batteries plus. they tested it and told me it was no good. with nothing to lose, I jumpered it to my truck battery, put the charger on it and then disconnected the jumpers. it ran at 6 amps charging for maybe 8 hours. I ran it down a bit for 4 hours with a turn signal bulb, recharged, and have been running it in my plane now with no problems. I will not be keeping the battery maintainer plugged into it. I typically fly every 2 weeks.

Vic,
I update both GDU's at the same time and have not had a problem running the battery down. I do not use a battery tender although I do own the Odyssey charger.

Mark,

Thanx for your input... I recently installed a new battery, and as an experiment to see how much the battery voltage changes during the 45 minute update process, I've been updating the G3X databases without any supplemental battery charging (other than flying).

The result (twice) has been that the voltage will drop only .1 volts during the database update process (from 12.4 down to 12.3). This minor voltage drop is viewed on the G3X display, the voltage measured at the battery is closer to 12.8 volts. This voltage change using the new battery (drop from 12.4 to 12.3) has had no impact on how well the starter cranks to start my engine.

My conclusion is that unless some electrical load gets left on and accidentally drains my battery, and because I fly almost every weekend (weather permitting), there should be no need to hook my battery up to a charger when updating the G3X databases.

Thanx again.:)

Victor

Agree with Brian here. You can pick up a power supply from eBay for less than $100 (some are around $50) that provide the exact AMPs and are adjustable to your DC output needs. It's a great way to run your EFIS for updates and get to learn all the functions without draining the battery. As others said here before, fly your plane often and don't worry about charging the battery. I know some folks here have stated that they believe the battery chargers are actually the cause of the constant battery failures.

I must have started my plane about 20 back to back times the other week on a several years old PC680 without a single complaint from it.

The I accidentally left it on my 20 year old Sears car charger for over a week.

It is in perfect shape still, and did at least a half dozen more starts without issue.

Back