What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Odyssey Battery charger

caryr

Well Known Member
Patron
I am sure we have hashed this before.

What are the recommended chargers for a Odyssey battery??

The link at their website is broken.

I haven't gotten but 2 years from the last 2 Odyssey batteries. I am going to change floating chargers and see if that helps.

Floating charger?

2 yr only from 2 different batteriers? :confused:
I have the PC680 battery, the same one from day one!
It and the plane are 4 yrs. old. I have only used a charger on it maybe 4 times when I was doing some panel stuff. It sounds like your using your most of the time, not sure but, maybe that is why yours are only lasting 2 yrs.

I've got about 400 hrs on my plane and my battery :eek:

Check the motorcycle and automobile catalogues - they list several good chargers dedicated to this type of battery.

I use an Optimate, though it may not be available Stateside.

Cary, your battery life sounds way too short. I can go a month or more without flying and have no issues starting my engine. I rarely use a charger. I may have once when I was down for three months or so but that is about it.

I would look at your situation to see if you are doing something to shorten the battery life.

i would check........

on a warranty if you got one year out of it. also check if there is any drain on it when not in use. something aint right!!!!! i hate electrical stuff.

I used to get 5-7 years out of my batteries. I started using a "maintainer". My last battery lasted just over 2 years.
The battery manufacturer suggested that I only use the maintainer if the airplane would sit for a month or more between flights.

mel

that's about my experience also

I use a "Battery Tender Jr" brand floating charger on it all the time. I am about to believe it shortens the life of the battery.

cary

One thing to keep in mind with the Odyssee batteries is that you need a charger that can pump up the volts high enough....check the specs on the charger to ensure it can fully charge the Odyssee.

An Odyssee is ~ 35% charged at 12v and 100% at 12.84v

They recommend that you use a charger that can produce at least 14.7v during the charge.

I use the Ultimizer also, but only in the winter. Didn't use it at all until early December when I knew my flying would slow way down.

Another data point

My Odyssey battery was going dead in 2 - 3 weeks. I thought something must be draining it but could not find the culprit - battery is at the most 2 years old. Replaced it with a new one and all is well. It can sit for a month and still cranks over great........... I know this cause the last guy to fly my airplane tried starting it without the mags on ......... idiot!

I started charging mine during the build in probably '05 with an old charger before I found out you needed a special charger. It is a 6 amp charger and probably 25 year old. It seemed to work fine. Since then I have had to charge the battery a few times when some idiot left the master on. The Odyssey is about seven years old and still spins everything at winter temperatures. I fail to see the need for a "special" charger. I do, however, use only recycled electrons, so that may make a difference;)

Bob

Back