What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Odyssey Battery Box Help

514S

For those you have gone before me and smarter than me. How did you dimple/counter sink and then rivet the battery box to the mounting brackets with the flush heads on the inside of the box?

......How did you dimple/counter sink and then rivet the battery box to the mounting brackets with the flush heads on the inside of the box?
So how did at least one builder dimple and rivet the battery box? Short answer: ALLIGATOR. With its flush rivets heads on the inside, assembling the battery box can present an uncommon challenge yet mine proved to be just one more in a long line of reasons why 95% of the time I prefer using an alligator squeezer over the far more common "C" type. Using it, I was able to take advantage of the lightening holes to access some of the rivets.

Certainly, assembling the battery box is done all the time using other tools and techniques though no other assembly method (in my view) is quicker or easier.

1zgx2lw.jpg

Your gonna have to think inside the box

drill a hole in a bucking bar that will hold the male dimple die. The female die goes in the rivet gun. Brrrrrrrp, dimpled.

Now use the flat side of the bucking bar and a back-rivet tool in the rivet gun.
Brrrrrrrp, done!

I don't have a pneumatic, and used a hand squeezer for most of the rivets except the bottom ones on either side. Clampled the yokes in the bench vice for support. I think I use a 3-inch yoke on most, a longeron yoke on some to get over the bottom lip, and then the back-rivet technique noted above, with a bucking bar braced in a bench vice.

I don't remember specifically how I did this, but I always tend to use blind rivet gun dimple dies when backed into a corner like this. These are two piece dimple dies with a hole in the middle. You put the male half inside the box and the female half outside. You put a nail thru the two of them, and grab the nail with your pop rivet gun / squeezer. When you squeeze, it draws them together, forming a nice dimple. Useful anywhere you can't get to with a DRDT-2, C-frame, or squeezer. Avery Tools has them, and probably Brown Tool as well, among others:

https://www.averytools.com/c-72-dimpling-tools.aspx

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back