What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Odessey battery

dan carley

Well Known Member
I’m thinking of changing my concord to a odessey battery
Which one should I buy the pc 680 or higher
I have a lycoming 0-360 180 hp will that be ok

Thanks
Danny carley

mine

I have had a 680 in my RV7a with an IO360 for last 15 years and it has worked great, just change it out every 3-4 years.

Odyssey 680 has been a great battery for me. I have two of them on the firewall, in parallel. They're individually switchable and one of them is used for avionics backup. They've been utterly reliable over 6 years. I keep them on an Odyssey battery charger 24-7 while in the hangar.

I am in the process of sending my Odyssey back to Battery Mart with a warranty claim. I discovered last week during an condition inspection that the battery was leaking acid and causing corrosion of the battery tray in my RV-10 (how is this even possible in an AGM?). The battery is less than one year old and replaced a 925L that gave 7 years of good service (The old battery is still working in my boat as a power source for the trolling motor). I considered purchasing an Earth-X, but went with the Odyssey because I value rock-solid reliability in a battery. Sigh. Should have left the old one well enough alone.

Check dimensions, polarity, cabling, orientation, hold down, etc....

Here's a potential Odyssey replacement that has great cranking power, etc...

https://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc925L-battery.html

Attachments

• bat1.jpg
    bat1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 127
  • bat2.jpg
    bat2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 181
battery question copied from another thread

Hi All,

I have an RV7A with the 0360 with 11:1 pistons. I am not sure how long I will be keeping it so I don't want to splurge for the Earthx. The battery most discussed is the PC680 from Odessy. It shows 170 cca which to me seems very low. Will this crank my high compression 360? Anyone with experience with this combo?

Thanks!
Brad

My friend had success running dual PC625 in his IFR RV8 with 360 engine.

He replaced them with new on a regular basis. In fact he gave me one of his after a swap, I put it in my RV4 and used it for 3 more years, then into my motorcycle, still working after strong after 8 or 9 total years.

I considered purchasing an Earth-X, but went with the Odyssey because I value rock-solid reliability in a battery. Sigh.
Yeah, I'm not sure there's any such thing.
The Earth-X vs [traditional] debate keeps popping up again and again. My take is that Earth-X is no less reliable, but a small number of reported failures plus misunderstandings about the alert feature have been blown up into making it seem that way.

IO 540 10:1 pistons. No problem

Thank you. I had one Odyssey Powersafe Dry Cell Battery Sbs J-16 battery in my RV8 and also had one in my T41a, and never had any issues with either one of them, but those were 180hp 4 cylinder engine. Yours is an IO 540 like mine.

I don't know how I ended up reading this thread today but the plane I just bought is 24v with a IO-540 and has 2 bigass batteries from a jet. He uses 4 batteries in his jet and replaced these two with newer ones !

If you're doing fine with just one battery then as soon I get it home I might replace those two heavy jet batteries with 2 Odysseys. I prefer two 12v batteries than just one 24v to be able to have 12v for other things without the need for converters, plus they're still both together cheaper than one 24v battery.

Back