What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oblong in Carson City

Dayton Murdock

Well Known Member
Hi All
I am doing my condition inspection and the alt air door to bosman cable connection hole is oblong again, Last year I welded a steel washer to the thin steel lever from the alt air door but after 120hrs it has gone south again. Is there a fix for this issue?

I want to be sure we're talking about the same thing. Are you talking the carb heat door in a standard FAB (hinged to swing down from the metal plate) or the alt air door in the bottom of a standard FAB (pivots sideways) or something else entirely for a horizontal induction? Since you mention a lever, I suspect you mean the carb heat door.

The alt air wraps a raw cable end around a screw that goes into a nutplate on the alt air door. I tried a different connector and it quickly vibrated loose, so I went back to the wrap, which is reliable.

I'm injected, so I don't use the carb heat door but the parts came in my FAB kit anyway and I looked them over. Using seat-of-the-pants engineering, I see two possible fixes: 1) a clevis end on the cable and a narrow bushing pressed into the lever arm or 2) a ball-type rod end on the cable and bolted firmly to the lever arm. I'd be a bit concerned with side loading on the latter fix but it doesn't look like it would be much in practice. Then again, 'seat-of-the-pants engineering', so approach with caution.

Back