What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OAT Location

You're going to get a bunch of different answers but I put mine on the right wing inboard access panel.

Bob

We put ours in the Left wing near the Pitot probe. All the plumbing and cables etc can run together then! ;)

And no the heated probe will not affect it :p

Right wing out near the last (outboard) access panel. Works great, very accurate.

Wing root

bundled between wing and fus. under the fairings ---- not sure the best place -- have a feeling it reads higher than it should.

We've done quite a bit of testing and found the most accurate place for an OAT probe is on the wing. A few ribs outboard is a good place (all the way out is fine too). The most inaccurate place is the naca vent on the fuselage. Just my .02.

Put mine under the rear fuselage - out of the sun and should be far enough back to avoid the exhaust. Also make an easy run to the Skyview AHARS.

On my RV8 it is inboard on right wing. I am going to have to place the one for the RV10 in the next few weeks. I will probably put it in the same place.

I have two and both were in the NACA air inlet and reading the same. I moved one of them to under the wing in the root fairing area and the reading is exactly the same as before. A few test that I have run, indicated accurate reading and they are certainly accurate on the ground as it is easy to test.
Hope this helps.

One in each rear NACA for each of the dual Dynons and one in the wing root for the MVP-50 engine monitor. Have not flown the 10 but I have the same set up in the 8 one in the NACA and one in the wing root.
They are both within a couple of degrees.

Back