What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O360-A1F6

longline

Well Known Member
Went looking for an engine for my RV-8. Found this one. Wondering if anyone is using a like engine on an RV-8 with dual electronic ignition. I see Hartzell props that are specified for this engine, but Hartzell seems to dislike the EI for vibration reasons. Not sure how far out on a limb I would be going if I used this counter weighted crank engine with dual EI and the Hartzell. Any experience out there?

I have an O-360-A1F6D variant on my 7 with dual EFII electronic ignition paired with a CATTO prop, it was originally an HIO version. 93 hours and so far so good, the price difference was worth it for me.
The biggest pain was the oil lines from the standard Van's FWF kit didn't work. Once I figured out my hose routing and that the accessory case used O-ring fittings for the oil lines instead of NPT the rest was pretty much the same.
Good Luck.

I have an O-360-A1F6D variant on my 7 with dual EFII electronic ignition paired with a CATTO prop, it was originally an HIO version. 93 hours and so far so good, the price difference was worth it for me.
The biggest pain was the oil lines from the standard Van's FWF kit didn't work. Once I figured out my hose routing and that the accessory case used O-ring fittings for the oil lines instead of NPT the rest was pretty much the same.
Good Luck.

I have 0-360-A1F6 (now converted to injection) and had standard NPT fittings for the oil lines at the accessory case. Have dual P-mags and a blended Hartzell prop. Not expecting any trouble (or I wouldn't have done it). I did talk to Hartzell about the combo. Basically they said consider it an A1A (no counterbalance weights) and observe any RPM restrictions that the A1A would have with this combo. Not flying yet.

Bevan

I believe my core was out of an enstrom helicopter, I found my accessory case to be somewhat "unique."

I suppose the helicopter application could have a difference to accommodate the installation such as you describe. However, I would have thought that change would be reflected in the model suffix number. As they say, there's an unsubstantiated rumour that Lycoming made the exact same engine twice. :)

Bevan

I have one of these engines in my plane and have over 250 hours on it without a single problem. I have dual lightspeed electronic ignitions and a fixed pitch metal prop. My accessory case is different than most and mine were npt threads.

Thanks for the replies

I expected to have an "installed base" that would allow me to proceed without thinking I was totally on my own. Yes, the data plate may say "experimental" on it, but there is no reason not to ask the question to avoid making an error that others have experienced? or not. Cheers.

Back