What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-360 vs XP-360?

berniepiet

I'm New Here
This is my first post. I bought an RV-4 in June. Love the airplane!:D

It turns out the crankshaft is cracked due to the Nelson Balancing AD.:( When it was reground by Nelson Balancing, they gound the wrong radius into the journals and many of the crankshafts cracked. Mine was one of them that cracked. Now I find all for cylinders are cracked as well.

At this point, I am just planning on buying an superior XP-360 or Titan OX 360, assembling it, and using all of my old accessories (the engine only had 250 SMOH. This is what sitting with no use does).

A couple of questions.

# 1 Is the Superior engine the same dimensionally? IE will all my old baffling, exhaust pipes, etc. just bolt on? or will I have to re do these things? I noticed that the Titan engine has tapered barrell fins.

#2 My old engine was an O-360 180 hp. Can the superior be set up to have 180 HP and still run on Auto gas? I have noticed a few different compression ratios.

#3 Any other issues I will have in this installation?

#4 There seem to be a lot of options when purchasing these engines. Roller rockers etc. Which ones are worth spending the extra # on?

BTW : When I get the new engine, I will have a lot of parts for sale. Engine Cases, rear accessory case,yellow tagged camshaft, pistons, valves. Pretty much everything minus the crankshaft, cylinder studs, and accessories.

I will put these items up for sale to fellow RVers.

Thanks for your help.

David

Last edited:

It turns out the crankshaft is cracked due to the Nelson Balancing AD.:( When it was reground by Nelson Balancing, they gound the wrong radius into the journals and many of the crankshafts cracked. Mine was one of them that cracked. Now I find all for cylinders are cracked as well.

At this point, I am just planning on buying an superior XP-360 or Titan OX 360, assembling it, and using all of my old accessories (the engine only had 250 SMOH. This is what sitting with no use does).

A couple of questions.

# 1 Is the Superior engine the same dimensionally? IE will all my old baffling, exhaust pipes, etc. just bolt on? or will I have to re do these things? I noticed that the Titan engine has tapered barrell fins.

#2 My old engine was an O-360 180 hp. Can the superior be set up to have 180 HP and still run on Auto gas? I have noticed a few different compression ratios.

#4 There seem to be a lot of options when purchasing these engines. Roller rockers etc. Which ones are worth spending the extra # on?

BTW : When I get the new engine, I will have a lot of parts for sale. Engine Cases, rear accessory case,yellow tagged camshaft, pistons, valves. Pretty much everything minus the crankshaft, cylinder studs, and accessories.

I will put these items up for sale to fellow RVers.

Thanks for your help.

David

I have an XP-IO-360 with fwd facing cold air sump.
All the baffling & FAB I ordered was the same as the Lyc version with fwd facing sump. My exhaust system had to be of the Superior type.

Min 91 auto gas approved, Can have combo blend with 100LL.
I use 93 autogas when local.

[snip]

A couple of questions.

Difficult to be absolutely definite, but very probably everything will fit just fine.

I believe the regular 8.5:1 c/r will run mogas, but talk to the guy who builds your engine.

As long as you spec the new engine the same as the old one, then there shouldn't be, but ...

It all depends on how you use the airplane. If you fly less than 100 hrs/year roller tappets may be worthwhile to prevent premature cam/tappet wear because of corrosion. If you use your old acc case & sump there won't be many issues of compatibility (and you'll save a few $$). Have you considered having a company like Aerosport build the engine and use as many of the current parts you have as possible? They can advise on the best options for your kind of flying.

Good luck, Pete

I would disassemble the engine, sell all the airworthy parts here or on ebay. Sell the non airworthy ( serviceable ) parts to the airboat guys ( bottom of the food chain for old Lycs ). Add to that money, and buy a new engine.

Not All ECI cylinders have tapered fins, only if you order them that way. Baffles will need modification for tapered fins.
Baffles may also need very minor refit around rocker covers and crankcase depending on the engine manufacturer.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

I bought an ECI kit engine from A.E.R.O. at Granite City,Il. this past spring best price that I could find ($13000) . I am very pleased now have 10 hrs. on it and running great.Call Jesse at 1-800-362-3044 I have never had better service in 40 years of buying airplane parts.

Roller tappets?

When I bought my Superior IO360, roller tappets were only $300 more and bumped the warranty from 1 to 3 years. Seemed like a no-brainer. Should reduce wear and add a few horses too.

And yes, you can do auto fuel and 180 HP. After looking at the issue, I went with a bump in compression and the extra 5 HP.

When they sent me the dyno sheet from the run-up with my engine, it showed 182 HP, which I think is very good for a 185 HP engine that is not broken in.

Hans

Back