What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-360 vs IO-360 dimensions

LampiesJR

Hi folks

This has probably been discussed many times

I currently fly an Exp Super Cub, still busy building my 8. I’ve been looking into installing a fuel injection engine into the Cub for a while now. I’m in the process of buying an IO-360 M1B for the -8 project from a friend of mine, and I’m considering installing that into the Cub since the RV is still a long term project.

I currently run a carbureted 320, and love the original look of the classic filter dome of the Cubs, hence my question: what is the height difference between a carbureted 320/360 from the bottom of the Carb to lets say the top of the engine or to the centerline of the crankshaft compared to a horizontal intake IO-360? I believe it is more compact if you look at vertical intake cowls compared to horizontal intake cowls, but how much?
And then - what real word weight difference is there between a carbureted 360 vs a FI 360? Keep in mind most guys run metal props, magnetos etc, I’ll be going with composite prop, composite cowlings and electronic ignition
Thanks

Last edited:
If you get the Lycoming Operators Manual for the engine(s) in question it lists all of those dimensions. Will be very helpful / useful information for operating that engine as well.

Back