What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-360 crankcase type?

hcccs

Well Known Member
I have a Lycoming O-360 crankcase and accessory housing and I have been trying to find out what types they are. There are several O-360 parts catalogs available online but I haven't been able to find these numbers. The crankcase has cast numbers in the casing: 72678 C WBAG 1. The accessory house has 76096.

Hans,

Somewhere on the case there should be a stamping with two digits and one alphanumberic (ex: 27A) which would help identify what model you have if the case is truely from Lycoming and not some type of clone.

Hans,

Somewhere on the case there should be a stamping with two digits and one alphanumberic (ex: 27A) which would help identify what model you have if the case is truely from Lycoming and not some type of clone.

This number is normally on top at the crankcase split just forward of where the accessory cover bolts on.

O-360 crankcase

Hans,

The left and right halves have different markings:
left=72678C WBAC 1
right=72672 WRAC
and then there is a stamping 71G.

Case

Do you have any pictures. Case repair shops can convert cases between models and change the mount style. The casting numbers are the same most of the time also. On the top back of the case there is a small block with the engine s/n (L-12345-27A) that will help identify it. The accessory housings are the same between models and will only Depend on the accessories that you are running(fuel pump, vac pump, gov drivepad ect).

Jesse

O-360 crankcase

This number is normally on top at the crankcase split just forward of where the accessory cover bolts on.

The number has been ground off for some reason. Is there some other means of identifying the crankcase?

If it is a four cylinder case with a breather in the front of the case it is a 235 or a 290 case. If no breather fitting in the front, it is a 360 or 320 case. If solid nose bearing for two piece nose bearing then it is CS or FP. If four main bearing bridges taking four nose bearing shells then it is 320 FP. If it has provision for two mag drives it is for a 2 mag engine and if a provision for a single mag drive, it is for a dual mag engine. If you can't bolt an accessory case to it it is an O-320-H2AD or O-360-E1A6Dtype case. If the mount area has cone shape machined into it, it is conical, if it is angular and smooth it is dynafocal one and if angular and has a step in it it is dynafocal two. Answer all of them and you should be able to figure the engine model or model group it fits.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Yep, if the serial numbers are ground off, I HIGHLY suggest sending it to a reputable shop to get it's airworthiness evaluated. It will never be certified again without the numbers, but there is a good chance the numbers were ground off for a reason... cracks in it or something...

Yep, if the serial numbers are ground off, I HIGHLY suggest sending it to a reputable shop to get it's airworthiness evaluated. It will never be certified again without the numbers, but there is a good chance the numbers were ground off for a reason... cracks in it or something...

But the serial number is for the entire engine assy., not the case. The "official" serial number location is the data plate on the sump.

I'm not sure if your statement is true that the case could never be "yellow-tagged".

Back