What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-320 with mufflers?

hlangebro

Well Known Member
Has anyone had any experience with Vettermans O-320 crossover exhaust with mufflers?
The mufflers look pretty small, and I have heard they are really close to the cowl so you need some protection.
Just curious if they are less loud and if you lose much power...
Obviously, they weigh about 4lbs more...

Hello Hakan,

I have Vetterman mufflers on my o-320. I have posted previously about my thoughts on them. It's been a while since I didn't have them installd, but as far as I can remember it's best to describe them as taking the volume from a "10" to a "7" on the volume scale. Maybe I am sensitive but my plane was just really realy loud before. The mufflers made it better and I have no regrets. As far as power loss, I really can't quantify that. Speed tests before and after are identical so if there is a loss, it's mot much.

Mufflers

Thanks,

I am going to use the James Cowl. Would that be too cramped with the mufflers???

I am not sure about the Sam James cowl with mufflers. I have the Vans cowl and no experience with the James. It was a little tight with the Vans cowl, but not a big deal. i would call Larry Vetterman. He's very helpful.

Back