What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

o-320 B2B Sump Change Info Needed

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
Hi all:

I'm seriously considering buying an O-320 B2B for my RV-9A. It has the rear mounted carburator which I've heard interferes with the nose wheel mount. Does anybody know who I can talk to about buying the parts requires to change the carb mounting location? I know I'd need a new sump but there are tubes as well. I want to get a price on this change before I buy the engine.

Thanks!

Kelly Johnson
San Jose, CA
About ready to mount the empennage.

Well,

I talked to Mahlon at Mattituck when I needed to change the sump. You will need to get a block off plate where your current oil pickup attaches to the accessory case, and remove the plug where the case meets the sump. You will also need the different sump, and intake pipes, as well as new rubber couplers for good measure.

I know that sometimes your type of sump is needed and can be swapped for a sump of the type you want for little charge.

Call the folks at Aerosport. They know about the mod and are very friendly and helpful.

BTW, I talked with them last year at Arlington about a B series engine for my -9A. They had some out of helicopters and had a lot of experience with these engines. After we worked up the costs for all the mods, I decided it wasn't worth it. Don't remember all the mods, but I do remember it needed a fuel pump as well as changing the sump.

Back