What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-320 B2B Sump Change Info Needed

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
Hi all:

I'm seriously considering buying an O-320 B2B for my RV-9A. It has the rear mounted carburator which I've heard interferes with the nose wheel mount. Does anybody know who I can talk to about buying the parts requires to change the carb mounting location? I know I'd need a new sump but there are tubes as well. I want to get a price on this change before I buy the engine.

Thanks!

Kelly Johnson
San Jose, CA
About ready to mount the empennage.

I'm a novice but know that some engine oil pickup, fuel/air tubes, and accesorie case are different from others. Be sure all connecting parts will fit on a different sump.

rear mounted carb

I tried to go that route. I found oil sumps to be hard to find and very high priced. You also will need the induction tubes. I checked with several engine salvage folks and didn't have any luck finding a sump I could afford. Also the engine that I was looking at had a different angle to the moter mounts than normal so Vans would have to have a special motor mount made for that engine. I passed on that engine and found a D1A in trade-a-plane every thing fits from Vans now.
N51HS preping for paint

All you need is
1. Sump
2. Intake Tubes

The tubes will be less than $100 new, bought mine from Mattituck.

The sump you may be able to exchange. I started with a B3B, and swapped my sump for the one I needed with an engine shop, they had a customer who needed what I had.

Then, look at the surface where the accessory case meets sump, you will see a pipe plug in an oil passage which runs vertically from that sealing surface.

Take this plug out.

Then, remove the two bolts which hold the oil pickup to the accessory case. Come up with a block off plate for that hole in the case, alot of shops just cut the flange off the pickup and weld it shut. Bolt the pickup blocking plate back in place with a gasket.

The oil will draw from the new sump bottom, which has the finger screen in the sump, through the oil passage where the plug was, and you have blocked off the hole of the old pickup.

Local shops here would charge about $50 to make these very minor alterations.

I have heard that the rear-carb (Straight riser) can be made to fit....but only on a taildragger, so you might consider putting the tail where it belongs ;)

If any of this doesn't make sense, call Mahlon, or drop him a note. I found him to be a godsend when I was doing this, and I had great experience buying various parts from him, and the great crew at Mattituck.

Jconard said:
I have heard that the rear-carb (Straight riser) can be made to fit....but only on a taildragger, so you might consider putting the tail where it belongs ;)

My RV-6 has 1,872.5 hobbs hours since first flight September 1997. I am running a O-320 B2B that I converted to Constant Speed operation. Nothing needed to be made to fit. The engine bolted right on with out any problems. Engine TTSN is 5,100 hours and was rebuilt to new specs for my RV-6. I did not change the sump but than again, the little wheel in in the back. As my engine sits in my airplane, it will not work in an -A RV without swapping the sump. Would need to look in my parts catalog for a part number of other dash number sumps that may work. I can tell you that on the O-360 A1A powered RV-6A, the airfilter fiberglass needs modified to be removable. A small depression where the nose gear is works great.

Thanks for the info

I did indeed call Mattituck and they gave me a great itemized list of parts I'd need. They were a great help.

I initially wanted to build the -9 taildragger but with several hundred hours in my Aeronca I figured I'd want a change. Had I stuck with it I think this engine would fit as is. Oh well. I bet I'll still get the RV Grin! :)

Thanks again!!!

Kelly,
You may not need to buy a full set of intake tubes. I recently purchased a damaged O-360-A4K engine. This engine also has a rear sump/carb setup. I ended up selling it for parts and made a nice profit doing it.
During my investigations, I found that two of the intake tube part numbers on my sump and the more common A1A (updraft) sump were the same. You can find sumps for sale at reasonable prices ($75 to $150) on EBay. I have lots of the Lycoming parts catalogs. Locate a sump you are interested in on EBay or elsewhere. Contact me off list with the model number of the engine. I can then tell you if any of your current intake tubes will fit that sump. Often the person selling the sump, also has the tubes as well. You can save a lot of money this way.
Charlie Kuss

Back