What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-200 engine mounts?

RichB

Hi all,

Does anyone have info on engine mounts to fit a Continental O-200 into an RV-9A? Reason I'm asking is that the 125Hp Certified Franklin 4A-235-B31 (which shares engine mounts with the O-200) is listed on Franklin Engines website at $6900 new. After looking at -320 new prices, used prices, and rebuild prices, this looks like a very good deal.

I've searched a bit, and seems like it's Lycoming all the way if I wanted to get something off-the-shelf. Has anyone gone the Conti/Franklin route before? Anyone have flying impressions of 125 HP (or thereabouts)?

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:
Rich,

I'm confused by your post. You ask about the Continental O-200 and then switch to the Franklyn 4A-235-B31. These are two different engines and unless I'm mistake, they have different engine mounts.

Which engine are you thinking about?

As for an engine mount for either engine, it will be a custom mount. However, talk to Van's and find out who makes their mounts, they might be able to weld up what you want for close to the same price as a Lycoming mount. I don't know about that, just guessing, but it is worth checking out.

As for how an RV-9 will do on 125 HP, that is an easy question to answer, OUTSTANDING.

BTW, you can add high compression pistons to an O-235 and bump it up to 125 HP. Also, Continental makes and IO-240 that puts out 125 HP. I suspect the price isn't close to the Franklyn.

The engine I'm talking of is indeed the Franklin, but I mentioned the Conti because I figured more folks would have looked at the O-200, and the Franklin 4A was (apparently) designed to be a drop-in replacement for it.

The Franklin / PZL 4A-235-B3 aircraft engine was developed to be a higher power replacement for the Continental A-65 through 0-200 engine line. As a result, the Franklin engine will fit directly to an 0-200 engine mount, the exhaust system and carburetor mounts in nearly the same location and the cowling will usually still fit. The 4A-235 weighs within a few pounds of an 0-200 when the engine are comparably equipped, yet it is rated at 125 HP. -- http://www.franklinengines.com/4a.cfm

I did look at IO-240, eg from Mattituck, but it's $20K anyway, and I would still need custom mounts, so if I went there I might as well look at a -320...

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll send a note to Van's about mounts.

Rich

That does seem very cheap for a new engine. Just remember that because it's an odd engine for the RV9 the plane probably won't be as valuable and you will probably end up putting just about as much time and money as going with the tried and true 320. I don't know what the price of a good used 320 is in NZ but when I lived in Wanaka complete planes where pretty cheap. I went with a very good condition first run engine with 1400 hours for my RV9. I ended up with 10k in the engine including some engine work and all new carb, mag, lightspeed, and rear case.

Back